I Forge Iron

Found a good deal on computer disk drive magnets

I have a couple of them. One I use to keep screws, nuts and bolts,etc. from getting away from me when I'm working on a thing. Another magnet I use for fishing those fiddly little pieces of hardware out of the dirt when I miss the other magnet. Handy things, I'd like a couple more.

Good tip, I'll take a look and ask Deb how my allowance is holding up. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm one of those folks who believe that every blacksmith's first aid kit should have one of such scarey strong magnets in it to remove scale flecks from the eye or find invisible steel splinters in the fingers.  Of course it needs to be stored double or triple bagged to keep the fur off it.

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm one of those folks who believe that every blacksmith's first aid kit should have one of such scarey strong magnets in it to remove scale flecks from the eye or find invisible steel splinters in the fingers.  Of course it needs to be stored double or triple bagged to keep the fur off it.

I hadn't thought of that, good tip Thomas. thanks

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Frank Turley said:

I have an old speaker magnet on a length of haywire used for dredging up pieces that accidentally have found their way to the bottom of  the slack tub.

I would be terrified to drop and drag a magnet on the bottom of my slack tub!!!!!!!!  Ain't no tellin' what monsters it would drag up!!!!  EEEEK!!

Every drill press has one for the chuck key--so far, they hardly ever seem to walk off and need to be searched for.  A couple of other machine tools that require a specific wrench get one (two in the case of longer wrenches) also--plus a dedicated wrench (the one thing horrible freight may be good for).  Hydraulic press that I use mostly for broaching keyways has one to hold the multiple shims in use.  Lathe gets one specifically to hold the cheap chip brush (another thing HF might be good for...buy em by the box)

In any case--you can never seem to have too many of those neodymium magnets around. One of the best modern inventions in the iron-banger's arsenal of handy goodies.