I Forge Iron

Thanks and hello from CT

Lou L

Hello all, my name is Lou and I'm from West Hartford, CT.  I worked in a few of the trades for a number of years but my current job is a mostly shirt and tie type of thing.  I first learned to forge steel at a friends farm years ago and have always wanted to get my own equipment and learn for real.  After doing lots of woodwork in my garage I have finally gotten started with blacksmithing.  I am not chasing the dream of making millions by making knives (though I'm bound to try making some). My interests lean more toward historical recreation and decorative work.  I also metal detect early colonial settlement sites and find all sorts of interesting ironwork, most of which is difficult to identify.  My goal is to learn how to recreate some of the things I find.

I've been using IFI as a resource for research for a long time now and that's why I say thanks...for what I've already learned and for what I will learn later.  I'm finally forging and making the tools I need to make the tools I need.  I don't think it ends.

Lou

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,  suggest you look up New England Blacksmiths on the net there is going to be a 2 1/2 day event  later in Sept outside Greenfield Mass which is aimed at beginners and lightly trained Blacksmiths.  Very Nice People super location and always a fun time and a chance to meet others from the area.   Easy up and down I91 for you and reasonably priced. 

Good to meet you Lou, I've been enjoying your Avatar since you started posting, in a philosophical sense that is. The wood worker who just wanted to make a special planer knife or chisel or similar rather than pay big bucks to have one made is a pretty darned large demographic among modern blacksmiths. At least till reality TV made blacksmithing the IN thing that is. :rolleyes:

Having a known goal and models to copy or reproduce is a lot better than most folk start off working towards. Pose pics please, we LOVE pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome all!  Just last night I saw the posting for the meetup in Mass. And now I have to convince the wife to have a weekend alone with the kids...I'm sure some of you know how that goes.  

Thomas, no, I haven't seen that book yet.  I have a chunk of a tool that, for the life of me, I can't identify.  Found it about two feet down in a garbage pile next to the foundation of a mill from the 1650's.  The mill ran for a long time so no specific date on the thing but having a reference to maybe identify the stuff I dig up would be nice!

Right now I'm working on improving my air system for my forge, though, and won't leave that task until I have succeeded!  Then I'll get on to ancient tool identification.

Frosty, you can thank my useless degree in philosophy for my choice of avatar....that and my passion for good bourbon.

Uh, I'm not sure where to go with that one Thomas. I love a straight line but some are so open I get lost in the possibilities. Oh okay I'd have had to drink lot of IT beforehand if I were your wife.

Bourbon. . .us . . . well . . .  maybe in something. A nicely aged smokey Scotch with a sweet after taste and just a bit of the peat and you're talking good tipple. :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

You'll have no arguments from me about your drink of choice.  I could almost taste it by your description alone!  As far as wives go though, you'll have no comments from me unless I'm complaining about my own...

Deal! :) Took me 45 years to find a woman who'd put up with me and still smart enough to hold a conversation with. I don't think any of our complaints are a deal breaker.

You are sooo going to fit in here.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, I got lucky in my 28th year and found a woman who was even willing to put up with my being a bartender (natural fit for philosopher by the way).  She hasn't even complained about all the coal spilled out all over the back yard.  I'll likely hear about it next year when I forget to do something trivial....but it's all good for now.

I'm going to hold myself to a high standard regarding fitting in here.  I need to make something of merit first...

Lou

Don't listen to Charles Lou, there is no such thing as a bad pun. <_<

Swapping lies about beating poor defenseless steel and iron into submission is our excuse for the get together and making friends. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

as far as the New England meet is concerned break your wife in with just going on Sat. which is a great starting point and Sun only goes till noon and Fri Starts at Noon so Sat is the only full day with a dinner and auction in the evening but still only an hr. from home. 

An excellent plan that increases my chances for success dramatically!  Thanks for the insights.

Two questions about going:

What does one bring to a meet as a newbie (hammers, steel, other tools, etc..)?

and, does everyone join (or should I join) the New England Blacksmiths organization?

if you want to go to the meet you need to Join.  what does one bring as a newbie, interest and ability to listen and converse with others.  Safety Glasses a must good boots.  Tools usually will be available esp. in the green tent,  Very friendly group always willing to help and dispense knowledge.

14 hours ago, JHCC said:

Hmm...I'm in that part of Connecticut on business somewhat regularly, I love puns and whiskey, and I have a degree in Ancient Greek Language and Literature. We should meet.

Hey, I studied Attic Greek for three and a half years.  Wanted to go back in time and punch Thucydides in the head.  I've lost so much of it over the years due to lack of practice....and six years of bar tending.  By all means, please do tell what a person who studied the classics can do beside teach!  I'm looking for professional change.  

Let me me know when you are in Central CT and you can stop by and laugh at my forge.

Frosty, it's a solid observation.  There must be a blacksmithing-fishing connection.

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

Hey, I studied Attic Greek for three and a half years.  Wanted to go back in time and punch Thucydides in the head.  I've lost so much of it over the years due to lack of practice....and six years of bar tending.  By all means, please do tell what a person who studied the classics can do beside teach!  I'm looking for professional change.  

Let me me know when you are in Central CT and you can stop by and laugh at my forge.

Frosty, it's a solid observation.  There must be a blacksmithing-fishing connection.

You trying to lure me in chum?

Frosty The Lucky.