I Forge Iron

Hello from Ohio

Philz

Good Evening All

Im new to the site and wanted to introduce myself, I teach welding and I'm also a CWI.. Have been in the industry for 30 plus years and Im finally getting to do what I want and that is blacksmithing. Any advice is extremely helpful and appreciated.. I shall help all that needs my help as well..

Thank You

Phil M..

Add your location before Frosty reminds you.

Pack a lunch and a cold drink and start reading the subjects on the site that is of interest to you. Then read the rest of the site. Most of your questions have been answered already, and discussed in detail.

Find a fuel in your location that is cheap and available and build a forge to match that fuel.

Find a blacksmithing group or organization near you and attend the meetings. You will learn more in a day than you can imagine. Take some light snacks, Gatorade or sweet tea and make friends. These folks also have the tools and equipment that you will search for to build your shop, anvils, tongs, etc

Welcome to IForgeIron.

Welcome aboard Phil, glad to have you. I see SOMEONE has already suggested you put your general location in the header. You never know who in the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

Reading the archived posts here is not only a great source of information it will give you a handle on the jargon. Like any specialized jargon it's hard to ask good questions and understand the answers if you don't speak the answer. It can be downright . . . Upsetting. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

It can be downright . . . Upsetting

Another good one! That one made me chuckle a bit!

Littleblacksmith

Thomas Powers, I will most certainly attend that one.. Thanks for the info..

im not sure how to comment to each post or just post my reply at the bottom of the page..

Frosty I will list my location, as soon as I figure out how..

Thanks All

Ah, now we know where you are, folk in the area can invite you to hammer ins, meetings, BBQs, group projects and vise versa!

Don't try replying to every post in a thread a general reply might be indicated but lots of us post just to make a happy noise. A good way to think of fora is like a cocktail party of folk with a shared interest The host requires good manners and language, other than that almost anything goes, well, no: religion, politics, name calling, bad language, uh. . . I think that's about it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

Thomas, you won't be by yourself if you are at Quad State but she just wants your charming company.  She also wants you to take her to the Mexican Restaurant.

Wayne,

Very curious why someone from NM would have any interest in a Mexican restaurant in middle Ohio...  isn't that kind of like someone from Japan going into a sushi restaurant in North Dakota?

• 1 month later...