I Forge Iron

anvil hold fast issue

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I kinda fixed it but need more fuss and fiddling , thing i doo i just used my old ne that i made from 3/4 round bar ,and tossed it away used it as woodworking, i tought its failed prototype, but i just bend it a litle bit under goose neck and it work better.

( its shaped as this as someone mentioned and drawed, thanks i better understood tool, basicly you can imagine two hands pushing from oposite side, but issue with mine hardy that its deep , so angle of bend should be steep and narow as possible and long one.

About your suggestion that too can be done but i will have to see, another thing is when loosen holdfast jump that is becaseu its short, maybe not for other hardies but its short for mine, it is good and bad, kinda dangarous if you hit it harder it loose, but its handy at small tap it let steel.

The tall sharply angled RR spike hold fast with the wide foot I posted is mild steel and it works a treat. If you use coil spring normalize it before using it. It is that tall so it would distort in the Pritchel hole enough to hold, the distance between the Pritchel and Hardy holes on my anvil is only a little over 1" so a more common hold fast just won't flex enough to hold. 

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

Mild is fine. In fact, mild might actually be better, since you don't have to worry about accidental hardening.

Never quench a piece of spring (or other hardenable steel) unless you are actually heat treating it.

What do you mean, dont quench it to cool it down?

Since quenching is heat treating it (hardening)

it’s less about the shaft cocking in the hole as it about the bent neck flexing and causing the shaft to wedge between the hole and the foot holding down the work.  A 90deg crook needs a curve in the arm to provide this wile a 45-60 degree crook (this is not a tire bend but a generous bend) simply needs the foot to angle slightly toe down so the crook has to spring open (or the curve) to lay the foot down flat on the work. 

I saw that with experimenting in shop, mine one inch was tight fit in hardy hole.

I made three od them I have some stock to forge other from that 1 inch square one bar , I will see maybe to stick weld or unwrap more call.

Right now Iam out off fuel and quite sick like flue or cold, and I need some time from shop , it became like opsession.

Have so much tools to make but so less time for it.

Because of the long body.. You need to make the hold fast tight to the hole. 

it needs to be about 7/8" IIRC.. At least that is the size on my 460lbs Refflinghaus.  there is a slight taper to the hole..   Make it with a heavier boss on top with a thin arm. 

The weight is used instead of the canting angle.