I Forge Iron

My first 2 knifes

MonkeyForge

I forged these two after some practice runs with mild/mystery steel. There is a million things wrong with them but I am pretty happy with how they tuned out. The short one used to be a rasp (for aluminium) and hardened in water. the longer one is o2 tool steel which I hardened in peanut oil, both tempered at 250 degrees Celsius for two 1 hour cycles. Wood is meranti pins are stainless steel rod   . I still need to sharpen the short one properly but the long one cut well, although the glass cutting board at my friend dulled it. I used strong cold coffee to force the patina on the long one as I happened to have some strong cold coffee after forgetting to drink it.  Even though I can see a ton of flaws/ room for improvement I’m curious what you guys think.

IMG-20160529-WA0019.jpegIMG-20160529-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20160704-WA0004.jpegIMG_20160605_151310.jpgIMG_20160609_174926(1).jpgIMG-20160704-WA0004.jpegIMG-20160604-WA0003.jpegIMG-20160704-WA0006.jpeg

@eseemann

The Handle scales are meranti (Shorea bracteolata). It reacts to an oil finish really well. (the darker lines in the last picture are some crud getting in but I decided I liked it. Meranti is a red wood and I used some pledge which is what I had but it brought out the color nicely. 

@TheoRockNazz

Thank you! Both blades are tool steel (O1 on the skinny blade, rasp used on aluminium on the chubby one, steel unknown but hardens in water)

@JHCC Have not had a foggy day since finishing them, cut through the coffee cleanly though

Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it. A lot of people around me like knifes but nobody knows how to make them so I am happy with your feedback.

@BIGGUNDOCTOR Good point about the stress risers. I read about them before but the knife was already almost done. I see no cracking on this one. Both are for my own use/testing since they are the first.