I Forge Iron

my new bench vise

Kevin Olson

Found this on cl. He posted it as a bench vise. 50 bucks brought it home. 5 1/4 jaws. Indian chief. Heres my 4 inch indian chief holding a 5 1/4 chief. The difference in mass is amazing. Just have to polish her it up and get er working. I am happy with my find. Wow 2 indian chiefs. Wheres my third. LoL

20160626_173233.jpg

20160626_171830.jpg

My smallest real leg vise also is about 3" jaw and Frank  looked it over and said he estimated that it dated to pre 1800, cost me US$20 at Quad-State one year, the same year I picked up a 6.5" vise for $50---good year for vices for me.  I still use the old one every now and then; I figure it would feel left out if it didn't get a chance to grab some metal every once in a while but I DON'T let students use it.

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I still use the old one every now and then; I figure it would feel left out if it didn't get a chance to grab some metal every once in a while but I DON'T let students use it.

There was a superstition amongst old English carpenters (18th and 19th centuries).  If a tool was left unused for a year, after that year the first time it was used it would seek blood.  Tools like to be used.

I just high lighted the letters with caulk to show its a real Indian Chief.  Gonna shine it up tomorrow and im sure it will draw some blood because this thing is heavy and im sure it'll pinch me. Im ok with that sacrifice to the blacksmith gods to bring a tool back to life. 

• 1 month later...

Here she is after an electrolysis bath overnight and polished up. She look awesome! And yes, Judson she pinched me and drew some blood. The blacksmith gods are happy now:-) We see some smiths falling into good deals and wish that would happen to us. I guess I'm one of those now. Wow, it feels good.  Also a pic of the part time petite shop cat. Its a nice 77 degrees in Minneapolis. Life is good!

20160807_104704.jpg

20160807_104652.jpg

20160807_105840.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here she is all mounted up to a table made of 1 inch T-1 steel. The 2 pieces of the table are 15 inches by 4 foot each. Together they weigh 400 pounds. The engine hoist came in handy. I squared the heads of half inch bolts and brass brushed them. They look awesome. I dont know what they used to write "T-1" on it but its like its etched right into it. I kleaned the steel up (couldn't get through rust scale)  with a 24 grit disk on my angle grinder and it didn't even touch the writing. So i guess everone will know what steel this is forever. My brother got this stuff when he was a mechanic at Hoover construction in northern minnesota in the early 80s. The boss wanted to use these as wear plates on front end loader buckets. He told the guys to weld one edge onto the bottom of the bucket then just bend it to fit the contour of the bucket and weld it up. They reminded him it was t-1 and anint gonna bend. So my bro got them and added some angle to hold them togethet and we've been using then for weight in the back of pickups for winters ever since. The holes in the middle are torched in and thats where he had the hold down bolts go through. 

20160827_224826.jpg

20160827_224536.jpg

20160827_224349.jpg

20160827_224313.jpg

Nice vise, I have an 8" Indian Chief myself, excellent vise it seems to like having a sledge taken to it. Nice table, great place to hang the vise and well mounted on the corner so you can work long pieces without the stand interfering.

Sweet setup, she's beautiful, good job sprucing her up.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've drilled T-1 you have to use the magic word to get it to cooperate. The magic word is . . . Cobalt.

I had to go back and look, I did say 8" didn't I. <sigh> It's actually 6". Have I told you the story about the dents in my head and what they did to my memory?

That brings an old question to mind. Why is it the fairer sex can't estimate length?

Frosty The Lucky.