I Forge Iron

I don't know what it is, but I do know it's an anvil

Good morning ladies and gentlemen!  I picked up this anvil last night for $25 and I don't know much about it.  I do know it will be and upgrade from the rr track I'm using.  I didn't test the rebound as I don't have a ball bearing or small ball pein, plus I think the stand doesn't help.  Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a noob.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not an anvil. Cast iron ASO (Anvil Shaped Object), and for once you paid about what a ASO is worth, not what real anvils should sell for.

It will be soft, and dent easily, but has the essential mass. Keep your steel yellow hot, and when it gets to a dull red, QUIT hitting it, and you should be fine.

Next, make some steel tools to fit the hardy hole, and you will be set up.

How does it "look like steel"  the projection to the sides is generally a warning sign that it's NOT steel but has been cast to fake a plate on the top. (Often ridiculously thick; my working anvils have face plates much thinner than that one---even the 400# one.)

BUT the hardy hole is worth what you paid for it and even when you find a real one it will still be useful to hold tooling when you are progressing down a multi tool process.

3 hours ago, winebaby said:

Well xxxx, lol. 

Watch the language.  Glenn is does not tolerate potty mouths.

We all learn, it is when we stop that we should worry.  Even if it is not a "real anvil" I see several uses and besides the hardy hole.  Heck I use a rail road track and a couple big rounds as anvils.

I appoligize for my foul mouth.  I'm not one for pink, but I was thinking of letting my 4 year old paint princesses on it.  Maybe a "let it go theme."  I like my rr track, but I used a nice big anvil a few months ago and fell in love.  By no means am I girly, but I got to play with a Mercedes and ditched my long lived love of Ford trucks.  Ok, maybe that was a bad annology   My grandmother always said "patience is a virtue" and I definitely strayed from those words of wisdom.  

Cool, another ladysmith! Maybe I just missed it earlier, I miss a lot. don't sweat the language slip, we all do it occasionally, just don't make a habit of it ad don't be surprised at it being XXXed out. It's a family site you know.

Good score for $25 as said it's a dandy bottom tool holder and if nothing else a chisel plate so you don't dull chisels cutting stock and projects. I'm not recommending you use it for a chisel plate but if nothing else. . .  There are a world of handy bottom tools (a tool with a shank that fits the hardy hole) and it's REALLY handy to have something heavy on a solid stand dedicated to hardies and bottom tools close by.

Don't think ill of a rail anvil, keep it handy they make excellent bench anvils for those little tweaks you need close to your eyes to see.

Frosty The Lucky,

4 hours ago, winebaby said:

My grandmother always said "patience is a virtue"

and my mom added on the end "Keep busy while you wait"

For 25 bucks you got something to hit and hold tools and not be afraid of damage to it.  All else fails use it as an anchor

If I had boat, I could, lol.  Thanks for the help gentlemen.  I would hardly call myself a smith as I don't think I have earned it.

For educational purposes, will cast iron shine like this?  I used an 80 grit flap wheel on it.

image.jpeg

Don't sweat being fooled by a cast iron ASO, folks have been being fooled by them for well over 100 years now. They are still the most common new item to be found in most low end import tool stores. I bought one as my first anvil over 30 years ago (brand new), and have made it my mission to help others avoid the same mistake ever since.