I Forge Iron

Damascus Steel Ring

Dustin Quade

This was my first attempt at making a damascus steel ring. Its pretty simple but its the smallest thing i have ever made which made it a bit more difficult. Maybe if i had a coal fore it would have been easier to grab with some simple pliers but my gas forge was making picking this thing up a bit tricky. Going to use clear coat enamel to protect from rust so it can be worn. Any thoughts?

20160615_225959.jpg

40 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

line it with Fine (999) silver.

Is that just a style thing or does it serve a function? I ask because this came about because my friends want to get married but they have next to no money so they asked if I could make them wedding bands from damascus. I can do that for free no problem but isnt silver pretty expensive?

Edited by Dustin Quade
wanted to add more to the response.

It serves a function as most people have no reactions to fine silver and so makes a "wear plate" for the interior of the ring.  you take a thin tube of silver who's OD = the ID of the ring and cut to fit (slightly longer than the ring is wide and burnish the ends over the edges of the ring. As to cost well enough to do 2 rings would cost less than the propane or coal to forge the damascus---if you can work from the ingot; spot was a bit over US$17 a troy oz yesterday.  I'd go to my scrap box and find a bit of thin sheet and roll it and hard solder it.

15 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

It serves a function as most people have no reactions to fine silver and so makes a "wear plate" for the interior of the ring.  you take a thin tube of silver who's OD = the ID of the ring and cut to fit (slightly longer than the ring is wide and burnish the ends over the edges of the ring. As to cost well enough to do 2 rings would cost less than the propane or coal to forge the damascus---if you can work from the ingot; spot was a bit over US$17 a troy oz yesterday.  I'd go to my scrap box and find a bit of thin sheet and roll it and hard solder it.

I will have so see about finding a local supplier for silver sheet. I had never considdered people may have reactions to the material, i was only worried about it rusting from contact with the skin.

if you buy it from a supplier it will be costly!  Find someone who does silver work as a hobby!  I'd send you some but all my scrap went to a young student couple who wanted to make copper wedding rings.  I told them that was not a good idea and  helped the groom cast a silver blank and then hammer them out on a mandrel until they fit---much more fitting.

Back when silver was cheap I'd go buy $100 worth of "scrap" from a local pawnshop for spot sterling and get a bunch of rings and things and save the good ones and melt down the others as needed.

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

if you buy it from a supplier it will be costly!  Find someone who does silver work as a hobby!  I'd send you some but all my scrap went to a young student couple who wanted to make copper wedding rings.  I told them that was not a good idea and  helped the groom cast a silver blank and then hammer them out on a mandrel until they fit---much more fitting.

Back when silver was cheap I'd go buy $100 worth of "scrap" from a local pawnshop for spot sterling and get a bunch of rings and things and save the good ones and melt down the others as needed.

Thanks alot Thomas, I appreciate the gesture and at least the scrap went to somone in need as well. I will check around on kijiji to see if i can find somone or maybe ask my local blacksmith group.

Thomas: I'm not terribly experienced making jewelry so please filter this thought for us.

Will high % hard silver solder work? You can buy it by the stick at welding or jewelry suppliers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Depends on the alloy and sensitivity of people to contents.  I like fine silver as it's pretty much pure silver and a very fine solder line is not much to cause issues.

I do remember a friend teaching me that old british silver coinage could be used as a "medium" silver solder in a pinch...

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Thomas: I'm not terribly experienced making jewelry so please filter this thought for us.

Frosty was unsure about something!:o:o

Littleblacksmith

4 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Frosty was unsure about something!:o:o

Littleblacksmith

Not really, I just say that every once in a while to make normal folk feel better. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Tin is awfully soft and probably would wear but it would be easy to reapply.

I wear a silver wedding ring---on my 4th---as they wear thin they go into my wife's jewelry case and I pick up another.  Spinning, not being as rough on the rings as smithing, means she wears gold, plus the silver one I found for her at a garage sale that has a plyed band that "spins" around the base.

I was thinking of plating too. Mask the outside, copper, gold then chrome. Done deal, WAY thinner than applying a liner mechanically and the chrome will protect the gold so it won't wear.

No guys, your shiny "chrome" bumper isn't shiny because it's chromed, it's shiny because it's nickle plated, the chrome plating is armor against weather, wear and tear and pretty hard knocks. Chrome plating is clear.

Of course if chrome won't plate over gold . . . Nevermind. :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.