I Forge Iron

Trenton anvil --- #200 serial number 201719

21 minutes ago, Frozenforge said:

Approx 1939-1940 it should have a weld at the waist joining the upper and lower halves.

28 minutes ago, Tyson Simmons said:

Hello any info on this anvil will be much apreciated thanks

image.jpeg

What's the going price on a anvil in this condition thanks

No telling, on what side of the planet do you dwell? Is your only interest in Iforge appraising blacksmith tools to flip? I'm thinking we should maybe come up with a service fee schedule for folk who only subscribe to ask us to assess the value of  thing.

Oh wait am I sounding like a curmudgeon . . . again? Ask me if I'm bummed.

Go ahead, Frosty The Lucky.

1 minute ago, Tyson Simmons said:

No I'm new to black smithing and I wanna know if I got a good deal or not???? 

What Frosty meant to say (maybe) is that anvil, forge, blower, and tool prices differ as to where in the US or the world you live. I can snatch an anvil here for 3-4 dollars a pound at about the max price, In Cal it's more common to see 6-10 dollar a pound, again can be different in Texas or New York. As for the price, I would pay 3-5USD HERE. That price may be different as to where you live.

By the way, Welcome to IFI, If you put your general location in the header you may be surprised how many IFI member live within visiting distance :rolleyes:

Ah, my curmudgeon came out unnecessarily . . . again. We get a lot of flippers who's only interest is in the price of tools rather than the value, sorry for clumping you in the wrong category. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gag live within visiting distance. If you get together with the local guys you'll learn more in an afternoon than in weeks figuring it out yourself.

Tool value depends on location, some places an anvil that nice might bring in $2.00 / lb or less, in other places say the Mat Su Valley in Alaska where I live it could easily bring in more than $5.00/lb and be sold before the ink was dry on an eBAy add.

It looks to be in very good condition, have you done a "rebound test" on it? You basically drop a ball bearing from a set distance and eyeball how far it bounces back as a %. some guys use a tape or scale and drop from a 10" mark. With practice you can use a light hammer but it takes practice. You want to test over the entire face say every sq. in. looking for dead spots indicating a face that's weld is failing. "delaminating" A delaminating face is a B-A-D thing, turns a tool into a tool holder.

So, what did you have to give for it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Basically anything 600 or below would be a good deal, 600 to 1000 would cover the average to high average. Above 1000 would be collector pricing or someone who wants it bad! 

That should have a one piece upper half and there shouldn't be any face welds to delaminate. Does it ring when tapped with a hammer? A clear ring on a Trenton anvil usually is a good indicator of structural integrity.

And their ads used to mention that they ring like bells; should also have a caplet depression in the base.

If it's fastened down to the base or the base includes some soft layer it can kill the ring.  I think you got a great anvil at a good price now go use it!

The caplet depression is under the anvil on the bottom.  Just part of the making of it.  If it is held tight on a metal base a lot of the ring will be out.  Does not hurt anything for performance just saves the ears.  Most of my anvils are on metal bases and have little ring.  They have great rebound. 

Thanks for posting your anvil pictures!  Yours is the second to last style of logo stamp used for U.S. manufacturing.  This is what I refer to as the 'transitional style N' logo.

The logo before your style had a rather normal looking middle N character.  The logo after your style is where the legs of the stylized middle N are rather close together, almost looking like an X (but it is not an X), and some people mistakenly call it a "Trexton" anvil.