I Forge Iron

crane hook for an anvil?

I am new to these forums and new to blacksmithing in general.I have read enough to be dangerous but need to start doing . I have a lot of conventional weldng/shop equipment but no basic blacksmith tools. Here is my question. I dissassembled a large crane mounted over a railroad track for unloading very heavy objects. I kept the hook. I don't have a weight on it but1000# or better i am sure. When standing upside down it acually has a pretty good sized flat area before it goes to the hook end and can be made very stable . Does any body know what type of steel a hook like this would typically be made of? While I am prowling around looking for a decent anvil is there any thing wrong or unsafe with using it as one ( I realize it will not enhance my work but I am just trying to get a feel right now anyway). Thanks for any reply.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Use the point as a bick, then have a flat behind that. Yep. Sounds like an anvil. Should be made of steel, and work pretty well for ya. Post us a picture of it, maybe we could help more, knowing the exact shape.

By the way, welcome aboard IFI. Clue us in to your location by going to the User Control panel to put in your locale.

Also, how about an intro in the Introduce yourself section of the forum.

I know a man in Indiana that used to forge hooks like that and that big.

Should make a great anvil and even after you get a real anvil the different shapes and radiususses will still come in handy. Besides that you need some neat things like that just layin around to keep the neighbors thinkin' :D

I can just see it now, in order to make a "proper" s-hook you first need to locate a 1000 pound crane hook. Not too many years ago it was said that the construction crane was the national bird, so I guess they shouldn't be too difficult to locate.

I can just see it now, in order to make a "proper" s-hook you first need to locate a 1000 pound crane hook.

And not too long after that, smiths on web sites, forums (fora?) lists and chats all over the planet will be arguing over which way it should point. :rolleyes:

Frosty

• 3 months later...