I Forge Iron

Side Blast Charcoal Forge Build?

the first forge I made was a bottom blast brake drum ... 2" black pipe,  truck brake drum with a hair dryer. to make a long story short there's lots of things I want to improve on it now that i know just a little something but I'm thinking I'd be better off just starting from scratch. my understanding is a side blast is better for charcoal ... this could be one of those stupid questions but here goes ...

having looked at "tub" forges the pipe comes in from the side but the holes are positioned so the air still blows up into the fire pot- is this considered "side blast" or  does side blast mean the air from the blower is coming in horizontally  from the side of the fire pot?

sorry, in advance if this topic has been covered in the past ...  there was one thread that looked like it might have the answer but the image links were broken. 

appreciate the help.

These pictures may be the ones you were looking for that have "disappeared" from the site.

If you are using charcoal and a hand cranked blower, you will necessarily not need to have the water cooled tuyere, a heavy section tue will do, (large diameter piece of steel with hole approximately 3/4" diameter through.

Side blast is as it says, air enters from the side    5755dfbb79f80_FirezonesSideblast.jpg.00c .

Bottom blast air from beneath 5755dd3d427ab_FireZonesbottomblast.jpg.0

Both types should work fine with charcoal.

Good luck with your choice and have fun.

The "tub forge" is a type of bottom blast. 

For charcoal, a 3/4" schedual 40 black pipe gives you about a 7/8" ID tuyere. This is ideal for charcoal. Charcoal is a bit different than using coal. 

Charcoal typicaly needs a dealer fire with a bottom blast than coal, wile the opposet it true of a side blast. 

The wash tub forge was designed by a bladesmith for making blades. He keeps his minimized to a really short section of the air pipe until it's time to heat treat. I'm not sure of his name but Tim Lively keeps coming to mind. Someone here will know and chime in I'm sure.

A simple side blast is easier to build and more useful for 99% of most blacksmithing.

Frosty The Lucky.

beloved of the neo-tribal metalsmiths; Tim Lively was one of the best known proponents of the wash tub forge.  I was a moderator on one of the neo tribal forums at one time and still like the "start forging on pretty much nothing in the way of $$" viewpoint.

6 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I prefer a classical side blast, one can remodel the fire hole with the use of a manifold to make a long trench or a larger fire ball the side blast can be put to gether for less than $50 if you buy all new material (including blower), much less if you scrounge. No need to drill the pipe, ect. 

thanks charles - any chance you can point me to a picture of classical side blast. i've seen lots of washtubs but not so many of what you describe as "classical"  - appreciate it if you have a minute, 

Truth is all you need is dirt a few rocks and a sack of some sort to start forging. If you have a prevailing wind you don't need the sack. Scoop out a trench, arrange rocks to make a tunnel for the air blast, seal it with dirt and attach your bellows or wind funnel.

If you have a reasonably steep slope and flat stones you can make a hill furnace and not need bellows or breeze to provide draft. I really like a hill furnace for a field expedient forge, you can feed wood in the top and let it cook to charcoal before you rake it to the forge (hearth?) zone.

If you luck into clay that will vitrify you can make all your "necessary" pieces from clay and fire it. Twigs bound in a cylindrical bundle and packed in clay makes a perfect pipe mold. Making a cylinder for a "feather" bellows is a little trickier but not really more difficult.

I don't know if I have the link but there's a great series of videos from a young man in England who builds and stays in all kinds of structures, makes tools and such entirely with what's there. All he takes with him besides the cameras is his pants.

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

The wash tub forge was designed by a bladesmith for making blades. He keeps his minimized to a really short section of the air pipe until it's time to heat treat. I'm not sure of his name but Tim Lively keeps coming to mind. Someone here will know and chime in I'm sure.

A simple side blast is easier to build and more useful for 99% of most blacksmithing.

Frosty The Lucky.

got it, thanks - should have listened to you a year ago when you warned me off a bottom blast w 2" black for charcoal

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Truth is all you need is dirt a few rocks and a sack of some sort to start forging. If you have a prevailing wind you don't need the sack. Scoop out a trench, arrange rocks to make a tunnel for the air blast, seal it with dirt and attach your bellows or wind funnel.

If you have a reasonably steep slope and flat stones you can make a hill furnace and not need bellows or breeze to provide draft. I really like a hill furnace for a field expedient forge, you can feed wood in the top and let it cook to charcoal before you rake it to the forge (hearth?) zone.

If you luck into clay that will vitrify you can make all your "necessary" pieces from clay and fire it. Twigs bound in a cylindrical bundle and packed in clay makes a perfect pipe mold. Making a cylinder for a "feather" bellows is a little trickier but not really more difficult.

I don't know if I have the link but there's a great series of videos from a young man in England who builds and stays in all kinds of structures, makes tools and such entirely with what's there. All he takes with him besides the cameras is his pants.

Frosty The Lucky.

i would actually love to do something like and years ago when i first got the thought of biulding a forge the only type you'd see on the net were in ground which for me isnt possible since i'm in a pretty densely populated suburb just north of nyc. as it is i'm a bit of oddity to my neighbors, if i built a fire pit in the backyard i think the cops would show up in about 10 minutes

7 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Look at Glenn's 55 side blast or my Box of dirt post, another guy built one and had sand for his... 

I haven't been able to post links for a week or two, and today is mule castration, so I will get back with you

thanks - will do

Or maybe we're not all crazy, but we're actually normal, and every one else is the crazy one. I mean,  what's so crazy about driving across a the country to go to a blacksmithing meeting, or stopping in the middle of the road to pick up a piece of steel. We're not crazy, everyone else is.

Littleblacksmith 

Don't worry: I just drew a Venn diagram of Frosty and Normal and there was no overlap so you are OK!  Now the one I drew for Charles vs "Barking" can be described as "identity"  I tried doing one for myself and it looked like a spirograph drawing, we just don't understand why???

I have to admit I was offered a room at a private Psychiatric hospital for my honeymoon---my wife ran the front office and was the only one who knew how the phone system and petty cash drawer and the... all worked. I really had to toe the line while she had that job, AR only required 3 Doctors to get you committed against your will and she had a half dozen that would sign anything she put in front of them and said "Sign!"