I Forge Iron

Today I finally got to test my new side blast forge.  I made it with a remote bosh connected with hoses.  The bosh is a 30 gallon plastic tub, I tried galvanized trash cans and buckets but every single one leaked when I tested them.  So far so good, I had it going for about three hours and the water never got above room temperature.

After I'd welded everything up, it struck me as very "piggy" looking.  I figured I'd give it some ears and eyes to give it some personality.

I've got a ways to go to get used to the side blast.  So far I like it a lot.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped answering my many questions about side blasts, especially Charles and Bradus.

0528161409.jpg

0528161432.jpg

0528161408.jpg

Thanks Andy,  I'll see what I can do about photo's.  I just got back from the Jim Seery Memorial Hammer-in and realized that I hadn't taken any pictures!  I ran the forge for about 6 hours and the water never got above "warm bathwater" despite the outside temps in the 80's.

We all enjoyed watching the hoses bucking and twitching as the water circulated.  It was particularly neat to see the convection currents when the sun struck my bosh at just the right angle.

After working with a few other forges, I'm thinking I need to find a higher output blower.  My little Champion blower just doesn't keep coke going well enough.  Forges with the bigger Buffalo 300's were providing veritable hurricane-force blast compared to mine.