I Forge Iron

PA April Meet

Hi,

For some reason there was no PA artist blacksmith link in the groups section. So I looked and saw that the PABA is having a meet April 4 in Easton that is titled fish demo. I am considering about going. Can someone tell me the details about it, especially if it is still on, what to bring, etc. ? Also, if you are under 18, do you need an adult there? Lastly, can I go if I am not a member and then give my membership there? Thank you very much.

Minors must be attended.

The most important detail is that the meeting is on the 2nd, not the 4th. Yes you can still go if you are not a member. Bring something for iron in the hat, a camera if you have one and a pen and paper to take notes during the demos. Unfortunately I can't make it to this one since I accidentally booked a full class on that same day :angry: lol.  BRing some extra spending money too. There is tailgating and raffles. 

41 minutes ago, Crazy Ivan said:

The most important detail is that the meeting is on the 2nd, not the 4th. Yes you can still go if you are not a member. Bring something for iron in the hat, a camera if you have one and a pen and paper to take notes during the demos. Unfortunately I can't make it to this one since I accidentally booked a full class on that same day :angry: lol.  BRing some extra spending money too. There is tailgating and raffles. 

ok Pete,  I dunno if I could even make it but....... Iron In the Hat... Ive heard this mentioned many of times but dont Exactly understand it. If ya can please elaborate on that one for me.

Iron in the hat is a fund raiser.  A file, left over tool steel sections, rr spikes, maybe even a candle swege.  Just something for the raffle/fund raiser for the group.  These type of groups gotta pay the rent and buy coal somehow.  I Have brought left over damascus scraps for guys to use to make key fobs... most groups I have attended charge $1 a ticket.

44 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

ok Pete,  I dunno if I could even make it but....... Iron In the Hat... Ive heard this mentioned many of times but dont Exactly understand it. If ya can please elaborate on that one for me.

Steve got it. Last month there were some great books, some awesome large top tool swages, misc medium carbon steel and other useful items. 

Alright, I got a whole bunch of flat stock that my uncle gave me. They should make nice bottle openers. So as far as the age goes, if you are under 18 does a parent need to be there the whole time? My parents wanted to just let me go there the day and then they go to the antique shops around there. If not, I am sure my dad will hopefully make the trip anyways. Thanks

1 hour ago, Steve Sells said:

Iron in the hat is a fund raiser.  A file, left over tool steel sections, rr spikes, maybe even a candle swege.  Just something for the raffle/fund raiser for the group.  These type of groups gotta pay the rent and buy coal somehow.  I Have brought left over damascus scraps for guys to use to make key fobs... most groups I have attended charge $1 a ticket.

Our club is pretty small so we have iron in the hat auctions. Our usual meetings don't have enough in attendance for a raffle to work.

Frosty The Lucky.

There should be a big gang there- both the PA and NJ groups will be there, as well as any NOMMA folk who can make it. Coffee and donuts provided, as well as lunch- usually pizza(donations a real good idea). There is usually some tailgating, too. A good time will be had by all.

Steve

23 hours ago, Forging Carver said:

So as far as the age goes, if you are under 18 does a parent need to be there the whole time? My parents wanted to just let me go there the day and then they go to the antique shops around there.

There shouldn't be a big issue with you just being by  yourself, and you don't need to be a member to attend.

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Thanks for the explanation. It's clear across the state for me but I'll see if I can squeeze a trip in. 

If you do ya better plan to swing by the shop as both Pete and I will be teaching that day. He's doing a full tong making class and I'll be finishing up the second day of a private knife making class but we'll have a cold beer to wash the road dust out of your mouth on hand. :)

J

9 hours ago, j.w.s. said:

If you do ya better plan to swing by the shop as both Pete and I will be teaching that day. He's doing a full tong making class and I'll be finishing up the second day of a private knife making class but we'll have a cold beer to wash the road dust out of your mouth on hand. :)

J

If I can head out I wouldn't dare not stop by for a bit :D

That's great then, I should be able to go. I am pretty excited! I don't have much for iron in the hat, but I can give a few rr spikes and some pieces of flat stock.

You mentioned tailgating. I have been looking for a post vise and a forge for a while now. How much do most sell a regular sized post vise in decent condition for? Also, how much would someone sell a buffalo or champion forge for? 

On 3/22/2016 at 4:47 PM, Daswulf said:
2 hours ago, Forging Carver said:

You mentioned tailgating. I have been looking for a post vise and a forge for a while now. How much do most sell a regular sized post vise in decent condition for? Also, how much would someone sell a buffalo or champion forge for? 

There were 3 forges for sale at the last one. When I left, none of them had sold so you may be able to get one this time. Iirc there was also a couple post vises too. All reasonably priced. Like I said before. Bring some extra $$$