I Forge Iron

A new old anvil found me yesterday, but how old is it?

Yesterday I was given a 200lb anvil with a 200 cast in the side and a W73 cast on the end and am wondering how old it is and who made it.

Can someone here steer me in the right direction? Is it a "Fisher"? What does the "W73" mean

thanks

kustomizer

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

i cant help you, but that anvil is very nice! it almost looks like it was never used. man those edges, everything looks very clean!

Littleblacksmith

My 200lb Fisher was made in 1941.  It has a 20 cast on one leg and 1941 cast across the front, the Fisher logo in on the side.  I'm sure the Fisher guy will know, but it's my guess that it was made in 1973, or at least is more contemporary than mine.  I don't recall when Fisher went out of business, it may be one of their last.

You anvil is a FISHER/CROSSLEY.  It was made in 1973.  Crossley Manufacturing took over making Fisher anvils in 1962, when the Fisher plant closed and was demolished to make way for a highway and increased parking at the NJ state complex.  They used all of the Fisher equipment and some of the personel at the Crossley plant, about a mile away.  Crossley produced anvils until the end of 1979.  They had to shut down their iron furnace due to Federal EPA regulations.  For whatever reason, they had stopped putting the Fisher name on the anvils.

Your anvil has factory paint, and appears to have never been used.

The face plate is actually only about 3/8" thick, the pattern had an overhang to give the appearance of a thicker plate, and to provide for grinding if the edges got chipped.  Mostly it was to give the appearance of a thicker plate.

You have a special anvil.  There are not many NOS Fisher anvils left in the world.

OK, help out a newbie with the idea of a faceplate. Does this mean that most of the anvil is mild steel while there is a harder top welded on? Just learning about these things. I always figured that an anvil was just one huge piece of steel poured at a foundry. I know I have a lot to learn.

27 minutes ago, RossA said:

OK, help out a newbie with the idea of a faceplate. Does this mean that most of the anvil is mild steel while there is a harder top welded on? Just learning about these things. I always figured that an anvil was just one huge piece of steel poured at a foundry. I know I have a lot to learn.

Something like that, yes. It wasn't till pretty recently steel was inexpensive enough to make large things entirely from steel. Even hammers were wrought iron with steel faces, same for anvils. Forged wrought iron body and horn with forge welded steel face was the norm for a long LONG time.

Around the turn of the last century steel production had improved to the point wrought iron was more expensive than steel so you start seeing high quality cast anvils. Some are cast high carbon steel like you envisioned, some are off the top high quality. Then there are the top shelf cast iron with a foundry welded steel face like Fisher. These are good solid work horses and best of all quiet. Where my cast steel Soderfors will make your ears ring through muffs and plugs with a missed blow you can hit a Fisher with the hammer without wearing hearing protection and maybe be annoyed.

Be careful though there are cast iron anvils without steel faces that are junk, barely better than nothing as anvils. Even worse are the cheap cast iron counterfeits high quality anvils coming out of our neighbor south of the border. These are nothing better than frauds.

Frosty The Lucky.

I guess I need to find a known "good" anvil with good bounce, try it out and learn to judge the bounce, then use that knowledge when I am buying an anvil. Only problem will be finding the right anvil to learn on.