I Forge Iron

US Navy SEAL Trident

I am working on a great project.

One that is quite a honour. I do not  generally make comissions any more but could not turn this one down...

The SEAL insignia is an Eagle holding a trident and a flintlock in front of an anchor.

I am Making a Trident for US Navy SQT (SEAL Qualification Training) Class 312.

It will be a Graduation Gift to NSWBTC (Navy Special Warfare Basic Training Command).

US Navy SEALs tradition to give a graduation gift upon completing training required to become SEALs.

So I am making a pattern welded Trident, not a fishing trident but a hero piece, Neptune's trident suitable for use against (big)sea monsters . I have taken my inspiration from the sea, using heavily laddered wavy material and of course pattern weld............I wanted the piece to be reminiscent of harpoons and anchors and wieldable by a by a (very) strong SEAL but not a trident for a mere mortal....... as forged the head is 14lb......

I have found this to be a very challenging piece and I am now on version 3, which ironicaly was my original idea (thanks Mick Maxen for putting me back on the right path towards simplicity). I tried to split the forks from an 8 bar patternweld, but alas it was not to be. and I have a monstrous billet of not wavy enough patternweld that will make some lovely (big)seax.......

anyhow here is where I am at the present, the handle is to be wavy ash with a damascus spacer and buttcap.....The prong are wavy random  lap welded onto a 3 bar patternweld and the core is the same with 4 bar and forge welded socket. hard to tell size from the pic but its big.....

24983086330_19fb6b2cdf_z.jpg

the tips are cod mouthed and forge welded shut...
24983086470_3d9aedff31_z.jpg

Its a very blacksmithy piece and lots of lap welds , this is the weld between the socket and middle prong...
24911012169_8ab5ae7e9b_z.jpg

I will up date as I finish the piece...

Cool stuff.  Can't wait to see the finished product - and more WIP pics  :)   I have to ask about the attachment you're using for polishing though.  Is the small belt around the 4 wheels to increase resistance for slack belt grinding, or is there another purpose I'm missing?

Thanks for the link, Steve.  I'm still not 100% clear on the purpose of the smaller belt.  Is it to prevent belt drift side to side when slack belt grinding or to provide a happy medium between a flat platen and a slack belt with no backing - or both?  Regardless it looks like a very useful attachment that I need to look into.

the timing belt acts as a more resistant concave backing , on this piece all the grind marks have to blend so all the faces of the trident are slightly convex.....the attachment is awesome, I have just bought a couple of grooved wheels off of US ebay to make the same thing for sharpening. you can hog and leave a convex edge , I highly recommend it.

the forks are etched...
25068818019_b86745709b_z.jpg

25140814350_70bd3c586a_z.jpg

Off to get wood tomorow...

Thanks for the explanation, basher.  Awesome work on the trident.  Loving it!  Then again, based on your other work I've seen I'd expect nothing less than something darn near perfect - and it looks like you'll deliver again.