I Forge Iron

Jackhammer for forging?

On 1/24/2021 at 12:12 AM, d72hemi said:

Purple Bullet,

That is a cool set up. Do you get much impact/vibration sent back to your foot raising the anvil to the jackhammer? 

None - It's not the anvil that raises.  Sorry its not any clearer, but the pedal forces up the rebar push-rods (they are on rollers) and that pushes up the jackhammer which is LOOSELY held in a cross piece, but tied in with rope to keep it upright. I'm going to try to upload a short video of hammering out the little curlicues on the end of those spring clips you find near a rail road

Forgot to mention, that was the first time I've fired this up since getting my 50# Little Giant running. I still have a lot to learn about that LG, though. The jackhammer hammer has been just a one-trick-pony, saving my aging arm when straightening and drawing out those tough clips.  I've made a few Bowies and Kukris out of them.

I remember reading a write up about using jackhammers for forging from around 20+ years ago; old school air powered ones.  The issues I remember are: the throw isn't very  long and so you needed to adjust things so it actually stays in contact as the thickness decreases.  The other was that they were designed to be loosely coupled---held by hand with the worker's belly pushing down on it.  If you had it rigidly held it would self destruct a lot faster!  They used springs to provide the give and the "belly force".  Looked to me like an tire hammer would be a better bet.

Now using small  air driven hand tools for repousse looked to be a useful addition.

Some years ago I read about a fellow who used a jack hammer to do repousee and chasing on plate steel. I'm blanking on the name but he was pretty famous, I don't think it was Mr. Paley though he did some jack hammer forging as well.

It's not an ideal tool but what the hey someone may come up with the fix that makes them work a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

I did a Whitaker workshop wirh Corky at Russ Swiders shop back in the day.

Russ at that time, was using hand held pneumatic chisels for forging.  He put on a great demo using these tools to forge a very detailed dragons head out of 1" or 1-1/4" square stock in one heat.

Might call his tools a mini jackhammer.