I Forge Iron

What forge fuel source

Gilli

Induction with inert atmosphere!  Of course it may cost more than a car but it's the BEST!   Now I've forged damascus knives using a hole in the ground for a forge; but it's not the BEST.  We generally tell folks to learn how to smith well before doing blades---sort of like learning how to drive a car before entering NASCAR races...

All depends what you have avalible in your part of the world. Propane, coal, coke, charcoal, wood, corn cobs, all is suitable some burn faster than others but will all work to make blades, but if ya can't get coal (preferably bituminous , anthricite is a pain IMO) don't build a coal forge . Same for any of em... Grab a cold drink and start reading in the forges section and see what may work with what you have avalible you have a lot of options.

Nick: You forgot various types of animal dung.

Welcome aboard Gilli, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might discover how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

If you were ready to make blades you'd already know which forge suited you best. I recommend you learn the general blacksmithing craft to a proficient level before you tackle bladesmithing. That way bladesmithing is "just" learning a new material and a few processes. Trying to learn both at once is guaranteed to generate many failures.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, as to fuels; one big difference is how clean burning do you want your forge? How clean do the want the air you're breathing to be?

Ordinarily, I'd go along with the general advise on building your blacksmith skills before tackling advanced work, like blade smithing. But, the fact is that there are many excellent books on the subject, and online groups to consult; also, blade smithing calls for so many other skills than forging, that like ornamental iron, auto body work, and various other specialties, you could do as well by just jumping in and getting your feet wet; you will have a few more failures, but will have a much shorter learing curves overall.

Find a fuel that is available in your part of the world and build your forge around and using that fuel. As others have already said, learn to blacksmith first so you have a knowledge base to take to the next level.

Buy the knifemaking book, Introduction to Knifemaking, in hardcover or paperback, by Steve Sells. It is available in the IForgeIron store. It will explain what you need to know in order to make a knife.