I Forge Iron

Picked this hammer up at an equipment auction in San Jose CA. Paid $400! Was missing oiler, and dies - otherwise complete. It has been working in my shop for last 7 years and I'm a fan. Great all around hammer. Here is video of hammer in operation. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Excellent video...and thanks for going into some of the pesky details like air usage.

Every time I see one of these it gets me thinking of what guarding would be required in a modern commercial environment.  With our punching presses, the "powers that be" wanted things like 2 handed trigger so both hands had to be on a "button" to trigger the press...and requested light curtains and other stuff.  That kind of modern contrivance would make a forging hammer like this impossible.  Anyone ever had OSHA or whatever equivalent authority in their neck of the woods try and force guarding be installed?  If so, what contraptions did they try and force on the situation?  Technically, OSHA requires foot actuators to have a top guard so they can't accidentally be triggered, by dropping heavy stock on them for example.  Probably MORE dangerous in a case like a power hammer unless very carefully implemented.

Thank you, yes there are quite a few interesting pieces in this shop. My family all refers to it as the 'cave of wonders' aka the cave. The forge is something I designed and I'm hoping to do a similar video on it soon. I'll add it here as well. 

Thinking about OSHA in my shop gives me chills...

Jib crane went up yesterday. Still have few things to do on it before it's functional, but the hard part is done. I had friend film a bit so I'll try and put another video together showing crane and modifications I made. It's going to make my shop very useful. I have been dealing with back issues recently, so I'm hoping the crane helps take stress off myback and allows me to keep working on heavy-ish pieces.