I Forge Iron

Guitar (WIP) start to finish.

Daswulf

My boss wanted a guitar to hang on his wall after seeing the scorpion and other work. He is an avid guitarist so I wanted to make a style he liked. After several times of asking I got a picture from his computer screen :rolleyes: well among other guitar makes he has 2 Gibson Les Paul's so I'm going with that shadow of a shape, tho I almost started the hollow body electric Epiphone because I used to like them too. 

So here is the start after having an idea of what I wanted to use for some parts and winging the others letting the scrap " talk to me" other then a few bits I'm well on my way in the 4 hours I had to work this evening. 

Im debating the ring gears as the back drop or stainless diamond mesh. I'll pull it out tomorrow evening and see which I prefer. Also will separate the frets on the neck and add stainless steel fret marks. Also debating stainless squares behind the wrench pickups. 

I'm just excited about this one and wanted to share as I build it.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can never have too many vice grips!! (And even when they're broken, they make good scorpion claws).

Das, the guitar is fantastic. Chains work great for defining shape. The fret end looks like an old tractor spanner - very handy.

You have an amazing capacity for work to turn these things out as quickly as you do - and hold down a job as well! Carry on! We anxiously await the next installment of photos.

Ausfire, you should see the amount of vice grips I have at work for welding on body panels. They are a necessity in the body business. Can't seem to break the good ones :)  Thanks. More pictures coming soon. 

Biggun, my plan is to take the hex bolts to the forge and smash the heads down to look like peg winds. Good observation, and thumb screws would work if they don't forge down nice.  I agree with mesh looking too even.  With the transmission plates it still gives me area to weld the knobs and pickups to so they will work out.  Thanks for the input. 

Finished pictures! I had many thoughts of going more elaborate but some times you have to step back and say " no, that's enough."  There are times something needs to be heavy and others they need to be light. This wall hanger needs to be light so I'm happy with it. 

Frosty, I need to take you up on the photography advice you give because it's impossible in my house lighting to get good pictures. 

Also im going to give clear coating a go on this one. I'll see if the painters at work can squeeze it in the paint booth with a car they clear tomorrow. ;) 

Pic heavy because I had trouble with my lighting. Trying to get the colors. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great job, Das. You have cleverly concealed the welds on the back - very neat. The forged thumb screws look the part. The heat colours on the rings look good too.

Clearcoat should give you the finish you want. 

Thanks Ausfire. I've been working on concealing welds better. it can ad to the magic sometimes. other times welds ad to the piece as well.

The heat colors were a last minute idea that i really liked. I had hoped for a more even blue but it wasnt working out but i like the way it turned out. 

The guys at work are going to use a matte clear on it so it wont end up too shiny.

39 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Top job Das' I doubt the photo's don't do justice to colouration of the rings. It almost looks like you cold paly it! I'm sure the boss is going to be oer the moon with it,

Thanks so much Smoggy.  The photos really don't do it justice. Last I saw he put pictures on Facebook and was getting great feedback. Here's to hoping I can get more requests for some work. 

I honestly fear commissions but when I have freedom in the making or design of them they really are fun. 

That's one fine piece of work Das it came out beautifully.

I don't know what I'd do about getting the colors to show better I'd have to experiment with filters and color fills but that aspect wasn't something I did much.

About the only tip I THINK would bring the piece out more is a fill light on the background to mute the shadow. A low angle from the right. On the other hand the shadows could make for a dramatic effect it'd make for some interesting experimenting probably worth a good grade in a photography class.

Frosty The Lucky.

Das have you ever considered giving up auto body work and becoming a full time artist.?  My mother in law paints, and some of the work by other artists sell for a lot of money, why xxxxxx if I know from looking at them. From what I've seen of your work you should have no trouble selling it. Where do you get the chain?

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

That's one fine piece of work Das it came out beautifully.

I don't know what I'd do about getting the colors to show better I'd have to experiment with filters and color fills but that aspect wasn't something I did much.

About the only tip I THINK would bring the piece out more is a fill light on the background to mute the shadow. A low angle from the right. On the other hand the shadows could make for a dramatic effect it'd make for some interesting experimenting probably worth a good grade in a photography class.

Frosty The Lucky.

I think it's time I take a spot in the house and experiment with lighting and back drops.  Thanks Frosty. 

Thanks House of D. 

16 minutes ago, Bud in PA said:

Das have you ever considered giving up auto body work and becoming a full time artist.?  My mother in law paints, and some of the work by other artists sell for a lot of money, why damned if I know from looking at them. From what I've seen of your work you should have no trouble selling it. Where do you get the chain?

Bud, I would love to. I think I need to get some things in line first. I'm not very good on the business end and that's something I'd have to research. I even looked into an arts faire and they require me to insure my work :huh:. Lots of unknowns I need to look into. I'm slowly working on it. Thank you for the compliments. 

I get chain all over. This was bicycle chain. There's lots of bicycles in people's trash or at the scrap yard. Talk to a bicycle repair shop. They probably throw them out. Same with motorcycle chain, motorcycle repair shop. I'd like to find larger farm implement chain so I'll need to go to some farm implement places. Or scrap yards. 

Lots of times I get stuff at auctions or from friends by mentioning what I'm interested in. 

Check out the heavy equipment repair shops or companies running road graders. The drive chain in the walking beams that connect the rear wheels is impressive stuff. Think yard art size, maybe a Viole. Don't forget dozer link belt for BIG.

Frosty The Lucky.