I Forge Iron

Just a box of dirt, or a simple side blast forge

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles R. Stevens

Would this work with a hand crank blower with larger pipe? Or would that be too much air when using charcoal. Was thinking of using a hair dryer for now but want to have it set up for hand crank when I can afford it 

Edited by Mod34
Removed @ tag

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

Sure, that'll work fine. A JABOD is as simple a forge as it gets.

Frosty The Lucky.

Got tired of my modified bottom blast 55-gallon drum forge with charcoal...it works, but it could do better. Started, and mostly finished a JABOD in about an hour and a half. Didn't have any 3/4" pipe laying around, so I'll clay it when I get back from drill next week. Similar to the original JABOD, two-foot box out of 1x8", side-blast with the tuyere about half-way up. Planning to make a tapered trench about four inches wide and seven to eight inches long, with the bottom at the deepest maybe five inches to start (with only 7.5" to the bottom, I don't want to overheat it and catch it on fire!).

I had a similar forge in Georgia, but a bottom blast, sort of a duck's nest over a brake rotor, and hood from a small cut down oil drum. Worked well with coal.

Jabod 2.0.jpg

I spent about 6 months at Lewis in 1970 as a Training Officer (2LT) with a Basic Trainng Company.  I lived is Steilacoom and my unit was on North Fort.  I drove around there about 20 years ago and all the WW2 vintange barracks and other buildings we had used were all gone.  I really liked the area but I was there in the summer of a dry year.  I'm not sure how much I would do in a Puget Sound winter.  One of my best friends is in Port Townsend but that is in the Olympic rain shadow.

What type of unit are you in?

GNM