I Forge Iron

Just a box of dirt, or a simple side blast forge

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's working for you that's what's important, but doesn't that leave all the coal beneath the tuyere not really contributing to the fireball? 

Was the reason you raised the tuyere in order to get the fireball level with the top of the table?

Pnut

Edited by pnut

That's what I was wondering. I thought you might have had three inches of coal under the tuyere. I was going to suggest raising the bottom of the firebowl but you have it well in hand. Good job and keep us posted.

I cut a notch on the front and back of the box to be able to stick the stock into the center of the fireball.  Same result different method.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

It's official, the procrastinating has to stop.    I went out to the jabod and I can't put off building a new one. It did have a good run though. It lasted sitting outside since February. I think that the hard freezes we've had was it's final death knell. I have all the materials to put a better one together thankfully. I left the cover off as it's supposed to rain tonight and the clay that wasn't vitrified was harder than I thought. Hopefully the rain will help because my back doesn't like digging clay. I'll post some pics when I get it done. Hopefully my body and the weather will cooperate so I can get it finished before I have to go back to work on Sunday.

Pnut

Went to the woods and broke up the clay from the old jabod. The rain didn't help a bit. It was too hard to absorb any of it.  There was an ant colony in it too. I busted it up with much difficulty and was wore out by the time I got done with it. I felt like a convict sentenced to hard labor. It would've been easier if I'd had a pick or mattock but all I had was a bar and a RR spike and hammer. 

Tomorrow I'll be putting it back together hopefully.  

Pnut

• 2 weeks later...

Work in progress. I'm starting my first jabod forge, after starting with a few bricks on the ground. The soil here is quite sandy, but I have a few fire bricks I can use to make the fire pot. I'll upload a picture after finishing it and testing it. 

forge2.thumb.jpeg.ac0178cde863c5828143e29599a0a86d.jpeg

forge5.thumb.jpeg.34c023a756b124d09bdc1449412b8c03.jpegforge4.thumb.jpeg.660cfaa6110ca5c7ba3fdd8700c2fe6f.jpeg

• 1 month later...

OK, I made a modification. My fire ball didn't have enough depth so I moved my tuyere so it's sticking out about 1 1/2" through the brick. Problem is, it is going to burn. So I've been wanting to try some of this Alabama red clay. I clayed it about a week ago so it's pretty dry now. This stuff is like concrete. Don't know why I didn't try it instead o the cat litter. I'll redo the whole thing soon and I will let you know how it holds up.

20200118_171646.thumb.jpg.d4d8e2933fe2aa8ca6910380176d748d.jpg

Anybody ever had a red forge?

BTW this added a couple of inches to my fireball.

IFC, what will that do? Straight out of the ground it feels smooth and just a little gritty. It's like concrete now. Tomorrow I'll see what happens when I put a hot fire on it. You're the pro on clay. I'll be asking you some questions because I'm planning to do more with this clay. After all, I've got about 20 trillion tons of it. :lol: 

By adding sand as grog, it will keep it from cracking when fired. If it feels gritty it may have enough sand mixed in. Put a little clay in a jar full of water and shake it up. Then let it sit overnight and it will separate into layers of clay,sand and debris to give you an idea of its composition.

4 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

. This stuff is like concrete. Don't know why I didn't try it instead o the cat litter.

When I broke my forge apart because the box was degrading it took a sledgehammer and wrecking bar. It really was like concrete. It was much more difficult to bust it up than build it that's for sure. The surface of the trench was like glass. I was truly surprised how hard the rest of it set up. I separated the vitrified glassy pieces and left the rest in a cut off plastic drum I used for tomato plants to soak up some rain. It was ready to go when I had to dump it out. 

I think you'll have to replace the glob of clay on the end of the pipe pretty often due to it being thin so it will probably crack but that shouldn't be much of a problem I wouldn't think. I might give it a try myself when I can build my next jabod. I don't know if you were having any trouble with the fireball being right on the wall but Angling the pipe slightly down moved the fireball away from the wall of my forge and more into the center of the trench. 

Pnut

• 1 month later...

It will burn and smolder, try cheep cat litter (bentonite clay) or dri sweep and play sand in a 1part to 2 parts ratio. If weight is a concern 1/2 to all the sand may be replaced with perlite or vamiculite. Simple clay brick piles have worked as have dri cat litter and bricks. Note I have melted hard fire brick. Another option is soap stone, but tho it can easaly be worked in less you have access to it cheap it gets spendy. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Pnut, how's your tuyere built?

Mine comes in from the right side about an inch above the floor of the trench right in the middle of the length. It's a sideblast jabod. I've seen them run down the floor of the trench lengthwise with multiple holes drilled in them like a whitlox style forge but can't personally say how well they work. I used a one inch sch. 40 pipe. You can just see it on the right side of the picture. 

Pnut

IMG_20190626_091904.thumb.jpg.60c414df71fb642b7704f37dacf20e0e.jpg