I Forge Iron

Rose

Daswulf

2 minutes ago, HEAP of JEEP said:

Those are great!  You gonna do a "how to" video or anything for us newbs?

LOL, I'm still new at it.  I wouldnt want to be the student playing teacher. :)   When I start another batch I will try to get some in process pictures, maybe that would help.

3 hours ago, stan said:

Your rose turn out really good, looks like a fair bit of work is involved.

There's a bit. I use patterns for the petals I use a plasma cutter to cut the petals out. It would be a lot easier if I didn't have to clean up the plasma torch marks. 

3 hours ago, Charlotte said:

I like your work and this is excellent.!

Thanks so much Charlotte. I'm striving to get better all the time and always seem to find faults in my work. Guess that just means there is room for improvement.  Can't say I'm not happy with these tho. :) 

Nice idea to have a second stem for the leaves, Das. And as you say, the rose lies neatly on the leaves. Good thinking to add a couple of thorns too.

The heat colours look fine - are you adding a protective finish of some kind?

7 hours ago, ausfire said:

Nice idea to have a second stem for the leaves, Das. And as you say, the rose lies neatly on the leaves. Good thinking to add a couple of thorns too.

The heat colours look fine - are you adding a protective finish of some kind?

I heat them up to warm and use my beeswax solution. The rose head is stainless steel so I'm not too worried there for now. Once I make some out of steel I'm thinking of either brushing wax in the petals, spray clear, or boiled linseed oil. 

22 minutes ago, NickOHH said:

Nice rose das , looks good, your just doin what the rest of us do, super critical of your work . Not a bad thing just seeing how you can improve. Really like the thorns and that it sits on the leaves . Nice work as usual!

Thanks Nick. Right now the thorns are built up mig weld then ground down with a 3" angle grinder. 

Finished up 3 roses last night for my mother, sister in law and my other brothers girlfriend.  And 3 rr spike bottle openers for my dad and brothers. Forgot to get pictures :rolleyes: just got wax on em this morning and was rushed to get to their house. 

Think they liked em :)

34 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Thanks Nick. Right now the thorns are built up mig weld then ground down with a 3" angle grinder. 

Finished up 3 roses last night for my mother, sister in law and my other brothers girlfriend.  And 3 rr spike bottle openers for my dad and brothers. Forgot to get pictures :rolleyes: just got wax on em this morning and was rushed to get to their house. 

Think they liked em :)

Sweet I did a couple roses, bottle openers and a couple knives for presents this year.

5 minutes ago, -Quint- said:

Looks really, really nice! I hadn't seen any of your work before this but I've noticed you often call yourself new to this. This work, at least to my eye, tells me that you're more advanced than you give yourself credit for.

Thanks Quint. I'm still going to work on improving :)  I really appreciate the compliment.

On 12/25/2015 at 7:01 PM, Daswulf said:

There's a bit. I use patterns for the petals I use a plasma cutter to cut the petals out. It would be a lot easier if I didn't have to clean up the plasma torch marks. 

First off, really nice.  Question about the plasma cutter.  What marks are being left.  With mine, that thin of plate would just need a touch up with the wire wheel.  Are those the marks you mean?

18 hours ago, natenaaron said:

First off, really nice.  Question about the plasma cutter.  What marks are being left.  With mine, that thin of plate would just need a touch up with the wire wheel.  Are those the marks you mean?

Mine leaves a burnt edge and I could stand to be steadier with it. So cleaning up my sloppiness. 

Das roses look great, do some piening on the pedals will take it up a notch and add some texture to the pedals.  You can also use the same pedal pattern for different flowers.  If you are going to do a lot of them try to find someone around you that uses/has a laser cnc.  I have a couple big fab shops around me that cut my pedal patterns and bell patterns for me.  Gets you a lot quick and can save some time and money. image.jpeg.0b403d0dc64ad99658baf97a10f47