I Forge Iron

Christmas miracle question

I have a hypothetical question, if you were given a gift of up to $3000 to buy one anvil you don't get to keep the change or use it for any thing else just one anvil new or old what would you buy and brief reason why. I keep coming back to a nimba, but the centurion so I would be leaving money on the table,  but a rathole, kolhswa and refflinghaus are very close, unless I could find a really clean monster hay budden, arm & hammer or Fisher.  I like the idea of having a brand new anvil so I can create the history, plus it's a solid hunk of tool steel, and I like the design of the nimba and the striking area is huge. Plus it's made in America. 

Just one? I was thinking a few in different sizes.

I already have 8 anvils ; 50# no name, 100# HB, 125# JHM Journeyman, 138# PW,150# Vulcan, 170# HB, 260# Fisher ( my main anvil), and a 306# Sodefors. I like the Fisher because it is quiet. I am just a hobbyist, so I am not using them all day everyday, and have found nothing wrong with them for my use.  I never looked at new ones due to sticker shock, and the fact all of mine were bought for around $1 a pound, or less. It all gets down to what you want to make, and how serious you are. If you turn this into a business it can be worth the expense, and a write off for taxes. With the stupid prices some old beat up anvils are bringing today, buying new isn't that much more now. The added benefit is that you get one with a known history, and in most cases made with better materials.

If I had my druthers, I'd buy one of those huge european anvils that always come up on eBay.  The stepped feet, church windows, double horns.... and that incredible sense of age and history.....  wow.  Wouldn't even hesitate on it.  And it would probably take up all of 3k to get one of the big ones through customs and into my shop.

Just for fun, if you were to lay $3,000 in my hand I'd have to drop buy a fellow's auto shop in a nearby town and see if 3k and an ASO would change his mind about using a 450lb. Soderfors as yard art. He's not interested in selling it but who knows, 30, $100 bills has an effect of people.

Now if I had a line on shipping I'd try visiting Sweden and area and see if I could find a Soderfors at a price I could get home for 3k.

That's just me and my affection for Soderfors anvils.

Frosty The Lucky.