I Forge Iron

folded eye axe with 5160 bit

this is my fifth axe and definitely the best to date.  I finally have become very confident in the forge welding process and am very happy with the quality of the weld on this one, hopefully the hardening and tempering of the bit is up to par as well.  I started with a 1/2" by 1" by 7" piece of mild flat bar folded to form the eye. then inserted a 1.25" wedge of 5160 for the blade.  triple normalized, then held at low non magnetic in a propane forge for 10 minutes, then tempered at 400 degrees for two hours. had some white oak that had not been kiln dried laying around so I made the handle of that.  let me know what you think

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thanks, I must admit I "cheated" a bit with my belt grinder. I usually prefer forged to finish, but on this one I had a bit too much material between the bit and the eye and chose to grind it out vs. drawing it out and upsetting the proportions that I wanted in the axe,..just didn't want the axe to get any longer

• 2 weeks later...

I think you did an excellent job. No you didn't cheat, you just used what you had to work with. I have never been able to forge weld, so I admire anyone who does work this good with a forge weld. I have actually given up on trying to learn it, But I do have special respect for those who do. Exellent work!

• 4 months later...

I would compare gas welding to TIG, not so much forge welding. 

Max, take a trip to Indiana, I bet Steve can get you to forge welding, helped me. 

Flat, clean, get it hot, but don't try to get it hot in 10 seconds, heat it relitivly slowly to make sure it's hot all the way threw, then bring it all the way hot! Tap it to get her with a firm but not heavy blow, then after it's stuck get after it. Bring it to welding heat and forge at least two more times. 

Btw, thank you Steve, I knew I was hitting it to hard, but letting it soke was the answer.