I Forge Iron

Where to get an anvil or equivalent

So got some great help on a forge build, but now I am more desperate for an anvil. Anyone have any good info on wher to get some railroad track or iron I could use as an anvil? I am doing small projects, so I don't need much, but would really like to be able to get it local. 

Thanks in advance for the help, this is a great community.

Just saw a show on Alaskan Railroads last night where somebody had shot up a stretch of rail with an 30'06 ( they showed the casings) they were cutting 12-15" sections of rail out and loading on their maint. truck looked perfect size!  I know about RR's and their rails but they also run around complaining about not making money, someone sets down the them and explains this "Profit Center" to them.  They can certainly get more than scrap money for it.  If they sold the stuff people might stop stealing it includes spikes. 

I got in good with a few guys who regularly garage/estate sale and have picked up some good blacksmithing and old tools as a result.  I also put out feelers on two forums specializing on totally unrelated topics and ended up with two hits that resulted in anvils I was able to purchase (one for $2 a pound, the other straight barter for labor). Craigslist and eBay are tough unless you are really patient and quick when an opportunity pops, focus on fishing where others are not.

This is a difficult place to find an anvil most of the time. One does pop up from time to time. You would do well to learn what you are willing to pay and how to evaluate the possible anvil so you are ready when you find one so you do not buy junk or wait to long and someone else gets it. until then a large scrap would be a usable plan and if you really like smithing you could decide to buy new, but don't really want to do that if you are not sure you will stick with it long term. Many here do not believe in buying new, of course we all would like cheap or free, but if you are not old and you consider the life of the anvil even new ones are not that expensive on per day of use basis.