I Forge Iron

Rail Anchor Hawk

20 hours ago, TwistedCustoms said:

What is the handle length?

The handle is about 20 inches.

19 hours ago, David R. said:

What is railroad anchor? How did you harden and temper? Symmetry is excellent. Did you use swage or die?

As others have said rail anchors range from about 1040-1060 depending on the manufacturer. This one was triple normalized, hardened in canola oil, and triple tempered at 425. The body was drawn back to spring temper with a propane torch. No dies or swages used, just some grinding in between forging steps.

In defense of round eyes, viking axes were commonly made with round eyes, so were trade axes. They won't turn on the haft if you hang them right and they're strong and easy to rehang in the field. They're not great for splitting though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On November 13, 2015 at 4:36 PM, navasky said:

The handle is about 20 inches.

As others have said rail anchors range from about 1040-1060 depending on the manufacturer. This one was triple normalized, hardened in canola oil, and triple tempered at 425. The body was drawn back to spring temper with a propane torch. No dies or swages used, just some grinding in between forging steps.

In defense of round eyes, viking axes were commonly made with round eyes, so were trade axes. They won't turn on the haft if you hang them right and they're strong and easy to rehang in the field. They're not great for splitting though.

I make round eye all the time, they don`t spin or turn as you might expect. i have lots of these, I`ll be trying them, i love the simplicity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 10:14 AM, WAGONJON said:

Some beautiful things are still make in Oakland! Very inspirational! Have you used it yet?

Yup it's been on a couple backpacking trips with me. Works great and even splits wood a little better than expected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 6:40 PM, Jonah k said:

Very nice hawk clean lines. Does it throw well?

Thanks. I don't plan to find out since I've spent too much time on the handle at this point to risk breaking it with a bad throw.

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:47 PM, navasky said:

Thanks. I don't plan to find out since I've spent too much time on the handle at this point to risk breaking it with a bad throw.

Your a wise man, very nice job.

Darrell