I Forge Iron

Fireplace Tools

01tundra

This has been on my "to do" list for a while now, but this wasn't the ideal situation to make my first set.

One of my imaginary internet friends from another forum recently learned that he had cancer, which forced him to leave his job to get the necessary treatment & recovery.  A group of people on the forum decided to donate to have a wood stove installed in his house so he could afford to heat it through the winter.  They contacted me last week asking if I could build them a tool set by this week and that they would be happy to pay me (which I declined - the pay part).  So my only window to get this built was yesterday....started at 8:00 AM and was cleaning the shop at 5:00 PM, worked non-stop all day long.  I did have a lot of motivation to get it done since it's a donation to such a good cause.

I really wish I would've had more time to make my first tool set, but I'm still happy with the way it turned out and hopefully it will serve the recipient well for years to come.

fpt1_zpsllnjfcpt.jpg

fpt2_zpszwgxnqdu.jpg

fpt3_zps6snqsdtv.jpg

fpt4_zpskqytf5zs.jpg

ft_zpsuwljea8c.jpg

Edited by 01tundra

Weld another peice in, either skip weld a peic of 1/2 in across the end, or just lay one in in the side, or take a peice of 1/2x1 and fuller down and split, weld the fullerd down 1/2" shank on. Forge, gas, mig, tig, stick.. What ever works for you and clean it up in the forge and on the bench. Not enugh material is easy, just add more, your a blacksmith right? Lol. 

Not sure yet, either forge weld or mig a 1/2" piece across the 1/2" handle section and then draw out each side for the fork.  Probably just mig the tee together and clean it up and then forge from there.  I do actually have some 1" round stock laying around, so I could fuller the neck down to 1/2" and then forge weld it to the handle end, then split the 1"......man I sure do need that powerhammer :D

That's basically what I'm doing, got the fork end forged last night and it came out pretty nice.  Also got the handle end forged for the fork side of the tongs.  Trying to figure out the mechanics now to get the pivot point in the right spot.  I believe it needs to be closer up toward the handle end to maximize fork travel with minimized handle movement.

I got the broom end and shovel blank from Kayne & Sons.  I wish I would've had more time, I would've rathered to hammer out the shovel end myself......oh well, next time.

Well done. That's a nice fire set, it's good to have a wood stove the IR soaks heat to the bones.

You can turn one end in a loop and weld it then split for the fork on the tongs. Is the stove door big enough to use tongs?

Frosty The Lucky.

Well done. That's a nice fire set, it's good to have a wood stove the IR soaks heat to the bones.

You can turn one end in a loop and weld it then split for the fork on the tongs. Is the stove door big enough to use tongs?

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a good question Frosty.  The stove is a fairly large one with a glass door, so it appears to be large enough to use tongs with.  I'm not sure if he would really even use the tongs since I rarely use mine.....at this point it's basically me challenging myself to build them just because :D

2015-10-282016_13_37_zpsolihiuon.jpg

Nice stove, it's a lot like our Jotul. Is that a shaker grate lever I see under the side door? I REALLY wish ours had a shaker grate.

We never open the front door when it's burning, I do all the tending, poking and rolling from the side door but I haven't tried tongs, they might work I don't know.

The windows are ceramic, same stuff they make the space shuttle windscreen from. The ceramic is rated to take a cold water quench from 1,700f without effect. We've had good sized blocks of wood roll and slam into it without effect. Except scaring the stuffins out of us.

If it's like our stove it's a 3 burn zone fire box and one of the air feeds blows down across the window from top to bottom so it stays pretty darned clean. That's how ours stays clean. It really helps to have good dry wood, our wood this season is a little too green so our window is creosoting up on us. I have to take a strip of birch bark ad scrub the window with the inside of the bark. It works surprisingly well.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fancy enginiering puts heated secondary air at the botom of the glass, keeps the soot from forming by adding air against 500 degree glass

Our Jotul has a set of stainless tubes under the top baffle plate inside the fire box that super heats combustion air and portions some across the entire top of the fire box. It also directs a stream of super heated combustion air down across the window sort of like a windshield defroster.

When it's burning at optimum it's quite the show, there's a bed of glowing coals under the wood, above it there's a flickering multi colored cloud of burning wood gas and there's a gentle vortex flowing down in front of the window and back under the coal bed. The final burn zone is also fed combustion air from the SS heat exchange tubes and directed into the space between the baffle plate and the stove's top.

If our wood is dry enough there's never smoke coming out the stack, even lighting it from cold it barely smokes. The chimney sweep keeps telling us we're wasting their time but we get it swept and inspected twice a year just because.

This year we were too late ordering wood so it's pretty green and we're getting a haze of smoke from the stack. It'll need swept this spring for sure maybe the sweep will feel needed this time eh?

You just can NOT beat a modern wood stove, they're efficient incredibly controllable and cleaner than anything but natural gas. If you smell wood smoke at our house it's a neighbor's stove.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...