I Forge Iron

Fireplace Tools

01tundra

10 hours ago, Panday said:

That looks nice. I've been wanting to make some fireplace tool sets, but I can never decide on a style I can do reasonably with my present tooling. 

Speaking of tooling. Can you share any info about that behemoth anvil stand of yours?

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/28153-another-anvil-stand-build/

We use alittle bit of the wood ash to clean our stove glass.  Just spray a paper towel with alittle glass cleaner dip it into your wood ash and clean your door glass.  Wood ash mixed into a past works great for that spring cleaning the winter dirt and grime off your house Windows too

Theophilus in "Divers Arts" written circa 1120 A.D. suggests using sifted wood ashes and a strip of woolen cloth to polish bone.  I tried it; found I got a gummy mess and knowing Theophilus is usually a good source gave; it some thought---what was left out because it was so common you didn't need to waste time/ink/parchment on it???  So I spit on it and the gummy mess became a great slightly abrasive slurry that I could shoeshine on the bone with the woolen cloth. The slight lye content helping to remove the oils in the bone too.  This was for a replica medieval knife project which I had folks accuse me of using a buffer on the bone handle as it was "too highly polished".