I Forge Iron

T.J.watts

This blade was so I thought my first successfully forge welded blade. Three pieces,  A36 with a 1095 core. Everything was going great and turning out how I wanted, then I quenched, snap tempered and bead blasted.(very fine media) There is now a crack down the center of the core, not the weld. I am unsure what caused this, maybe different contraction rates during the quench or maybe drawn too cold. Has anyone ran in to this and figured out what happened? This is extremely frustrating and disappointing to say the least in a polite manor:angry:. At the very least I now have a nice pattern to use in the future.

KIMG0286.jpeg

KIMG0287.jpeg

KIMG0288.jpeg

Edited by T.J.watts

The pictures aren't very good but you can see the layers and the crack is right through the core. I thought about grinding the crack but it goes in to the tang so I wouldn't even try to save it. the quench was in hydraulic oil then put in a rod over for the snap temper, I hadn't made it to the actual temper yet when I found the crack. The plan was to do two temper cycles at 375 for an hour each when I got home but I didn't make it that far. I wish I could save the blade but I cant think of a way to do so without leaving a detrimental flaw. I'll try again and have a nice pattern to work with.

Actually frosty if you visit my web site, there is pattern I call a psychedelic twist,  it is alternating layers of 1/8 inch thick blade steel, and failed "Other damascus" blades or billets rolled to 1/8 inch thick, that have been forge welded into a new billet,  given a random twist and made into a blade if it takes a good weld ...  I never throw away damascus steel

What's a snap temper? I don't do a lot of hardening but for what I do I use fryer oil from a local super market. I was hoping to get their doughnut oil but no, my shop smells like burritos, fish, fries, etc. Oh well. They were happy to fill a 5gl jug with canola oil when they changed oil.

Hyd fluid can make dangerous bad smoke though it does a decent job of quenching it has a high flash temp. Of course you could just buy some heat treat or heat transfer oil but what fun would that be. eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

I have been working sanmai a LOT lately. Your choice in steels seems to be the hardest combination, or rather the highest fail rate I have encountered for san-mai. Sometimes, not all the time I run into this. I even caught the phenomena in the act on camera, literally listening to the crack slowly tink open. As Ric suggested, I had also switched from A36 to 1018 from my local big steel supplier. I had less problems then. Not gone, but less. To date, the only blades I have had crack at the core were this combination. 100% success rate so far using wrought as the jacket.

11013218_10152720896155009_799588006219299716_n.jpg

I looked in to the snap temper more. I had it backwards, the snap temper is meant to help prevent the blade from cracking while waiting to be tempered. Thomas I need to talk to some of the farmers around here and see if I can go scrounging in some scrap piles.