I Forge Iron

Forged feather

anyone forge a feather? I was doing leaves and thought it would be cool to try a feather. Has anyone else made one?  How did you feel about it and what do you think about this one? when I started it I hated it but it's growing on me. They were brushed with a brass brush. It was my first time trying that too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Daswulf

Better looking than my first attempt!  There are lots of different ways to make these, I last tried a method someone here mentioned where you double the stock over and then bend it back into place in a vise, with the small part in the middle that is clamped in the vise forming the stem up through the feather.  I liked the look but want to try other methods, too.  

Here's a photo I shot of one Gordon Williams did at a demo in Alabama last month....

IMG_0857.JPG

Those are some great ideas, thanks SpankySmith and yesteryearforge. I had also been thinking about a top and bottom die that might be easy to make to form the "stem"part. 

Marcy that would make for it to be more functional. I like it. 

Marcy.....just a suggestion ...maybe you ASK Nick to make you one......just say'in......lol                Dave

If I ask him if enters the "yeah I will get to it eventually" folder in his brain, meaning I won't have one for at least a year. But, if I just tell him, I can have it next time we forge. Haha

If I ask him if enters the "yeah I will get to it eventually" folder in his brain, meaning I won't have one for at least a year. But, if I just tell him, I can have it next time we forge. Haha

Oh come ON Darlin I'm sure if you try really, REALLY hard you can come up with a situation where the same reply from you would spur him to action. "Yeah. . . . eventually."

Frosty The Lucky.