I Forge Iron

A smith in NYC? Inconceivable...

-Quint-

Dabbled for years, finally setting up an actual shop... My neighbors, who here in NYC are uncomfortably close to being my Siamese twins, are going to hate my guts! (But that's ok, although I am one, I'm not a huge fan of NY'ers)

So, this seems like a good place, looking forward to getting to know some good people and learning a lot. 

I'll be using my homemade propane forge (made out of an old 20lb cylinder), a handful of old hammers, tongs, etc and a 130lb anvil I've had for about a decade. We'll see what happens!

Welcome aboard Quint, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. We're blacksmiths, we aren't going to remember where you are after we move to another post.

What do you have in mind to make?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, glad to be here!

Over the years I've sparingly "forged" only a handful of things. A couple of specialty tools, a knife, a couple of small scrolls. I put the word forged in quotes because I've never had an actual forge before. I've used various other less than ideal heat sources to shape steel into what I needed and quenched at less than ideal temperatures I'm sure. 

So as far as what I have in mind to make, I have a fairly widespread interest. Maybe that's not such a great approach for a beginner, but I was originally drawn to the craft as a child with an interest in making blades, then the ability to make my own tools fascinated me, especially since I could make a unique tool for a specific task, and lastly I really enjoy giving handmade unique gifts, which steers my interest in a thousand other directions!

I know this has been a long answer to a simple question but there is one more thing. Only very recently have I felt an interest in possibly trying some farrier work. I have an aunt who owns and operates a horse farm not terribly far from me, so it could potentially be another source of income for me on a part time/get away from NYC for a few days a month sort of thing (if I don't completely suck at it that is). 

Seriusly consider classes for the horseshoing. Making a shoe isn't the hardest thing to do, but knowing what shoe to make, how to get the foot flat and level (or unlevel if nessisary) and properly nailed on is a bit of a trick. Not to mention that we can do more harm than good if we don't understand some of the basic anatomy, conformatinal falts and deseases of the foot (many of wich are caused buy us). In no way am I saying this to discorage you, their are infact farriers in NYC, as both the police and carrage companies use them. So with some leg work you may find some one to teach you the basics. I just love horses and would hate for you to learn the hard way. 

Thanks Charles, I will definitely take your advice. I'd never want to harm the animal with my incompetence. And my aunt would string me up if I did! I hadn't thought of the NYPD mounted unit, but a friend of mine is a former captain. If it's possible for a civilian to get in the door there even just to watch, I'm sure he can point me in the right direction. 

Often, police departments are happy for public exposure. So much hostility and misinformation as to what they do. But if your willing and able to volentier a bit at the stables and share the word about their good work I imagine you will find a desent reception.

almost all of the carage barns are open to the public, thats how they drove The radical animal rights lobies out, hard to portray them as cruel and inhumain when every one was welcomed to come down and see how the horses are treated. 

Silence your anvil!  Use a propane forge and do as much work as possible without power tools and your neighbors might not even know you are forging!

I think I kinda want to annoy them hehehe... They annoy the xxxx out of me. Any tips on making my anvil louder? I do have a PA system, I could stick a mic on it ;)

I lived in the inner city of Columbus for 15 years and forged in my backyard.  A student of mine in the same city forged a couple of months and annoyed his neighbors and so they complained to the city and then he had to get a burning permit: applying 10 working days before EACH TIME he lit his forge and paying US$25 for each permit.  If you want to forge I suggest working on not annoying the neighbors...

Ju keep using that word....I don't not think it means what ju think it means...(gratuitious inigo montoya...)

Welcome. What kind of space are you planning to forge in? Garage at a quaint little house in Elmont? 3 room apartment (rent controlled) on East 9th street? Noise is one thing, ventilation and fire hazards are another.

There used to be a little riding club somewhere right next to Belmont Park...maybe they'd know some farriers? I could maybe find out, but it would mean talking to my ex. :( 

Edited by Nobody Special

xxxx, that's pretty harsh and inconvenient. There's enough trouble, conflict and general nosiness around here without asking for more. Just helps as an outlet to joke about "returning the favor" so to speak. Last thing I need is more interference from the wonderful city of New York. Thanks for the input and experience sharing. 

Ju keep using that word....I don't not think it means what ju think it means...(gratuitious inigo montoya...)

Welcome. What kind of space are you planning to forge in? Garage at a quaint little house in Elmont? 3 room apartment (rent controlled) on East 9th street? Noise is one thing, ventilation and fire hazards are another.

There used to be a little riding club somewhere right next to Belmont Park...maybe they'd know some farriers? I could maybe find out, but it would mean talking to my ex. :( 

Don't talk to the ex if you don't have to! But thank you. The farrier idea is a fairly new one that I haven't put a ton of thought into yet, but now that I am thinking about it, I'm realizing that I know more than a few people who deal with horses in one way or another and I can certainly pick their brains and ask for some contacts. For many years I wanted to be a horse vet, and always wished I could make a living as a blacksmith... Maybe I've just been missing my calling all along. I used to spend summers working on my aunts horse farms and really loved the animals and just the overall atmosphere.

Blades and tools have always been what I've really wanted to bang out on my anvil, but the farrier thing is making more and more sense, I need a change in my life and work, I know it's a long road starting as an apprentice at my age, but gotta start somewhere, right? And what better time than now...

Oh sorry, I forgot to answer your other questions. I'm in northwest Queens, pretty much at the foot of the 59th street bridge (grew up not far from Elmont though). I'd love to forge in my workshop in the basement, but even with a more than adequate air exchange system and keeping the propane tank outside, I'd be a bit nervous. Not sure if that's a good idea. I don't have a garage but do have a very small backyard. I could set up out there but either securing my tools/equipment or bringing them in and out every day would be a hassle. It's not a bad neighborhood but chances are very high that anything kept out back, even with a padlock on the gate, would walk away. 

The "why" admin is touch about language is that when he started this site he had young sons, who have since grown in to exeptinal young men. 

Basments are tricky from a fire danger as well as ventilation issue. It can be done, if your willing to talk to building code and fire safty folks, but that could open a can of worms...

a small enclosed trailer, or a dedicated custome forge trailer may be idea. You will need a shoing truck or trailer anyway if you get into horseshoing. If theft of the trailer is a fear, pull the wheels, and install a ball lock hard to steal it if its on blocks, of corse a deadman set in the ground to chain it to helps as well. 

Quint: Farrier work can be lucrative but it's hard on the body and takes time to learn properly. It also takes a certain touch with horses, you have to be friendly with them but balance it with a certain level of clinical detachment. Horses are touchy about their feet, it's evolutionary mandate, they live or die based on their ability to fight of flee. It's a very skilled specialization of the blacksmith's craft.

Here's an IFI member lives in NYC. http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/43954-another-video-by-another-friend/#comment-453868

If you get a chance to visit Theo I'd jump on it. He does sharp pointy things and does them well.

Bear in mind any of these particular blacksmithing specializations require you to know how to forge. Sure neither requires the full spectrum of the craft but what they require is a requirement. It's so much easier to develop proficiency in the blacksmith's craft without trying to learn the others at the same time. Once you've developed proficiency as a blacksmith the other specialties become a matter of adjusting to new materials and a couple few more skills. Much MUCH easier.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Thanks for all of the opinions, suggestions, etc, you guys are fantastic. I spent a couple of hours last night just reading through tons of other discussions all over the board, so much info packed in this place. Glad I found my way here. 

Don't try to upset your neighbours, mate. Things could get difficult for you. Why don't you forge something nice for them and they might tolerate your hammering a little more?? 

I'm going to forge a 10 foot iron gate for one of them... to keep her out!;)

For some reason she thinks she can come into our yard and help herself to our garden. I keep hoping she accidentally gets her hands on my habanero...

Actually I built a "1 soft firebrick forge" (that is run using a cheap plumber's propane torch) to use so I could forge in my basement in the Ohio winters when I lived there (15 years).  I did 40 nails for a wood working project (variation on the Mastermyr Chest); lots of hot forged silver---back when it was cheap..., hot forged copper---when silver was too expensive and pretty much anything I could fit in the forge made from 1/4" up to 3/8" stock.  Of course I had a 100 year old house and the basement was stone walled and a tad damp and drafty.  Bringing the anvil down the stairs was the most difficult part though I only took the 91#'r.

If your willing to risk the basement, look at code, such as fire rated wals and celings and ventilation requiements.

garages have requirements for fire resistant walls and doors, kitchens and fire places have requirements for ventilation and fire risk abatment. Ect. Your insurance company wount like you much, but is doable, but as you and your famaly live above, make dang sure you cover all the angles of fire safty, ventilation, safe fuel handling, fire supression and fuel gas, corbonmonoxide, carbon dioxide and fire detection. 

Two layers of 3/4" fire rated drywall goes a long waus in that department but NYCFD may have other ideas. But comertial kitchens, to include charcoal grills, and wood fired ovens are code compliant, as are fireplaces, jewlers doing castings, etc. 

lots of home work my friend

Fired up the forge for the first time out back last night, that really swayed me toward not even considering the basement anymore. Wish I could, since it's so convenient, but safety and common sense definitely win this little argument inside my head. Too bad I already lugged the anvil down there ;)

By the way, sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my language. I'm sorry to say that my ears (and consequently my sense) have been hardened by what has become "acceptable language", 'specially around these parts... won't happen again.