I Forge Iron

Better to sell side blast and go simpler?

JamesH

that is a vacuum cleaner motor and the dial on the front of the box is a rheostat used to reduce the motor speed. I would run out a couple of extension cords and give it a try. if it works then longer term cord with some heavier wire in it would help to keep the voltage up to the shed for a 50 meter distance. I lay out and pick up extension cords most days and dont see it as a task.

your power problem with the kettle could be a couple of things, if the earth leakage device is triggering it is likely that the problem is in the kettle or the power point, try another power point or another kettle.

if it is the circuit breaker tripping, the breaker could be faulty or worn out.

your power problem with the kettle could be a couple of things, if the earth leakage device is triggering it is likely that the problem is in the kettle or the power point, try another power point or another kettle.

if it is the circuit breaker tripping, the breaker could be faulty or worn out.

that was some amazing identification skills! Sadly though It's not limited to the kettle, also happens to the oven, pond pump....any socket really though it seems worse in summer. And I'm not opposed to extension cords, but given the season using multiple is a flat no and if there's simpler solutions...thanks Forthe help! Irondwarf was asking what motor it was and I was at a los

I was wondering if it was a vacuum motor as there are similarities to the one I have.....plenty windy at full toss! As for extension cables in poor weather, 16amp (32amp are also available) type hook ups as used for camping would be fine provided the connectors are not stood in water.

(and as the camping season is effectively over for the year you may even pick up an aquaroll for toting the water to the forge, now is the time to find them cheap on ebay.....!)

Edited by Smoggy

James, for one, I would LOVE to have a small side blast forge like that. wherever your journey takes you, do NOT give that little guy up !

Now, though I'm in the states, I do agree that looks just like a vacuum cleaner motor and the ones we have here are quite loud.  I am with all the others here in my opinion, carefully remove that one (For reuse later) and find/build a manual bellows, hand crank blower, 12V D/C blower, hair dryer etc. then start using that beauty !

Todd

ID is a resourceful guy. i imagine y'all came up with a working idea.

my first thought when I saw that blower housing was that it must be loud!  

As to all the plugs in the hiuse being bodgy, espetiLy in the summer, 3 things come to mind, they are all on one circut, when it is warmer their is more tesistance in the wires and lastly, you probbably have fans, or a windo ac pluged in. 

yes smoggy the same forge and anvil in use recently at stratford.

from what I know I would get the wiring checked in the house ASAP.

several appliances tripping and more problems need looking at, could be faulty appliances, wiring or circuit breakers.

Charles AC is rare here, we need it maybe 4 days a year.

the blower we were using takes 260 watts, just over 1 amp at 240 volts, vac blowers are often more like 1 kw

we have neither Air Con nor any fans really, ID is not exadgerating when he said 4 days. Even the heating is off at the moment pending an upgrade. Smoggy I couldn't agree more,  seeing it all in action and knowing its so close now I just can't wait! I think i'll probably keep it (the forge) for now, and when i've had a chance to try it if its not too my taste I can always sell and would most deffinately buy and recomend one of Iron Dwarfs forges, especially now that i've seen one after a few hours use. Worked a lot better than the ones i've seen and used at the few demo's i've been too.
A hand crank would probably work frosty, but I think im going to take up ID's offer of making me a 50m cable and sockets, the othher issues will just have to wait untill next summer when i'm more prepared to afford or tackle them.