I Forge Iron

Hi Folks

We have just aquired a cast iron cauldron and have no idea of it's original use or age. All thoughts most welcome.
Mobile phone in 1 pic to show size. Note grooves each side leading to holes through pivots.

Multiple holes around rim suggest it may have had some sort of lid?

Thanks

Brian

DSC_9088.jpg

DSC_9091.jpg

DSC_9092.jpg

Buzzacott name on side would suggest Australian make.

While I don't know what it was used for, the trunion mounts and bolt flange say it was for purose built for something. I'd think a pressure vessel of some sort or there's no reason for a bolt flange rim. A paper gasket would seal it to significant pressure but it may have contained something hazardous.

Interesting find. What are you going to do with it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty

No idea what we will do with it at this stage. We do plan to have a vintage foundry display at some time. Looking for some pics to guide me on layout etc.

The two holes leading through the trunnions are intriguing as they would stop it pressurising.

Cannot find anything similar on Google.

I missed the trunnions being pipe. I suppose pressure fittings could be external to the pot. Might be to allow agitation of the load? Inlet and outlet makes sense too.

Maybe it's a cat washer! A good solid cast iron kettle and lid bolted down with 32 bolts would be about right to keep me and a ticked off wet cat separated.  ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

ball mill of some sort?  Since the trunnion shown has bolts that imply some sort of flange could be mounted it seems that the whole thing is designed to fully rotate under power.  Put in a good sized ball, trickle some slurry in one side while rotating and have the crushed goods come out the other.

Edited by Kozzy

Back in the late 90's one of the guys from the dive shop who used to run trips, took all of us on the trip on a night dive in Ginny Springs FL. The main cavern goes down to 60' where the grated opening of the cave is. After getting everyone situated in various positions where we could sit and watch, he signaled everyone to turn off their lights. At that point there is zero light in the cavern as the roof blocks out all light from outside. He then pulled out a ziploc bag that contained a bunch of activated glow sticks that had been cut open and released the material into the outflow from the cave. For a brief few seconds he was outlined in this odd green glow before the contents broke up into a thousand tiny points of light that drifted thru the dark cavern like stars in the Milky Way. One of the more impressive night dives I've even been on. Once the material spread enough you could begin to see dim shapes of others in the group, but you still felt like you were alone drifting in space.