I Forge Iron

Devil Forge Single Burner

Elvirth

Hey guys.

Sooooo I decided to just go ahead and buy a ready-made forge to speed the learning process along. Got it in the mail today. It seems pretty sturdy, the main tube did get a little bent in transit, but nothing I couldn't mostly fix or deal with. The burner it comes with seems pretty straightforward, not sure what design it's based off of, but it looks serviceable. The major issue I have at the moment is that, while it does come with a regulator and hose for connecting a propane tank, the regulator is designed for some strange European standard and I need two absurdly specific little components to make it compatible. Also, the measurements on the gauge are in Russian, and I don't recognize the symbols. I think I might just end up going downtown tomorrow and buying a Bayou Classic or something close, just because I hate having to change things I don't particularly understand. 

I already coated the kaowool with some ITC-100, spritzed the wool down with some water first and then mixed and painted it on. Tried to cover any and all exposed wool. Not entirely sure I did it completely right, and I would have liked to add more kaowool, but I'm working with what I have at the moment.

A couple pictures:

l5CKlbW.jpg

DyqwB6l.jpg

They were also nice enough to include a pre-cut firebrick for the forge floor. I have a couple as well, so I'll probably be able to use those for closing up the back end a bit.

I'm very excited, Now I have some very visual progress towards being able to hammer some metal out. I just wish all the provided instructions for the regulator weren't in Russian. Ah well.

So, there you have it. I'll probably update this once I can get some gas and a regulator.

It doesn't come with fittings usable in the States? That doesn't sound like such a good recommendation to me. Have you called Devil Forge? You shouldn't have to go buy special components to use the thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, the parts I need are a certain type and size of pipe nipple that I'll have to drill out a bit (finally bought a power drill, OH JOY), and then a large ring/nut thing to screw it onto the tank. Other than that, I can work everything else. Devil Forge has a video guide on how to convert their regulator, as well as the part numbers, but I am also a little hesitant because they appear to have changed their regulator design since then and have not told me if it's now US compatible. I have no problem with going out and buying a different regulator at this point.

What BS. Selling a product you have to convert to use? Do they let you know that before you pay for it?

Frosty The Lucky.

I was aware, yes. This was just the most affordable option I could find that suited my needs, roughly 100-200 dollars cheaper than any other ready-made forge I could find. I'm not really that concerned about the regulator situation, it's just a slight delay. 

These guys are a pretty small outfit out of some little town in Lithuania, I can't say I blame them; They barely speak English. I realized when i decided to buy this that it would be a bit more inconvenient, what with the language barrier and foreign shipping and all that, but I'm going to make it work. I've dug my hole, and now I'll line the sides to my liking and make myself comfortable while sitting in it.

I was getting the wrong idea. Good to know I hate thinking ill of someone even for a good reason. No problem with Devil Forge integrity glad to know. Spending another $50 +/- to get it up and running is economical.

If it's going to take a little while to get the reg and fittings you should hold off washing the Kaowool till you get the second layer. ITC-100 is too expensive to put where it's not needed.

Keep us posted, we're pulling for ya. ;)

I was just reading and replying to a thread about adapting a Brit fitting to an American propane tank or visa versa. The suggestion came up to try a hydraulic supply and I remembered hitting a rubber and hose supply.

IIRC Walla Walla is inland but you have an airport so being able to match parts from all over the world is important. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

• 3 months later...

I  saw these on ebay and was podering snagging one but wasn't sold on not being able to build one myself for roughly the same price, the forge comes from Lithuania if I remember right which would explain the European fittings and the Russian writing on the gauge. im interested in an update when you get the chance to burn it some.

Like you, I almost pulled the trigger on one of their forges just to get up and running. I decided not too only because I've built a furnace for melting aluminum for metal casting. I have leftover kaowool and refractory cement plus, I have some experience with burners as well. I liked the bare bones approach of their set ups though and the price seem right.

Keep us informed about it- I'm still interested.

-m

On 12/22/2015 at 1:05 PM, Mikey98118 said:

That burner ends in a hose barb. Cut off one end of  an American fuel hose, insert the barb into it and crank down a worm-drive hose clamp on it; you'll be in business the painless way. Or, as they put it in mafia films; "bing, bam, boom; job done.

here is one way

1 hour ago, MisterTim said:

So just connect the burner straight to the propane tank and go without a regulator?

You could? But you shouldn't!  as the tank empties the pressure changes , the 'tap' on the tank gives adjustment on volume and its not designed to be used as a regulator it'll work but reduce tank life and if it wears the seals through improper use possibly yours so  it should be quite simple to buy a regulator locally, but rather than buying from a big box store it's preferable to go to a 'gas shop/welding supply ' place so you can get a regulator that has a greater 'range' than the 'cheapies'

Perhaps you're seeing something on the regulator that came with the package that I'm missing Mikey98118... My issue has been that it doesn't connect to any standard US fitting. However, I believe I am close (at least closer) to a resolution, in that a 0 - 30 PSI Propane Regulator/Assembly Kit should do the trick with a bit of MacGyverin'

Tim: I think there's a little miscommunicating going on here. When you say the reg doesn't match the fitting do you mean you can't screw the foreign regulator into an American propane tank?

Mike is talking about replacing the foreign fitting on the hose with an American barb fitting so it'll fit an American reg.

Trying to modify the tank fitting on a foreign regulator would require some machine shop time. Better to hit the local propane supply company and buy a 0-30 high volume regulator. You will probably need to change fittings on one end of the hose to make up to it but that's pretty straight forward as Mike has said.

I hope this clears the problem some. You guys are reeating yourselves and not making headway.

Frosty The Lucky.

Naw, culpa non. it happens all the time we just need to get to know each other better, this is a good example of how useful jargon is.

One last point, we LOVE pics we'd really like to see your new forge operating.

Frosty The Lucky.

My problem with devils forge is that I saw a video that led me to believe that they are a dishonest company. There was a YouTube video where they showed a comparison of their burner to another burner in which they lit both forges and times the time it took to heat equal size stock in similar forge bodies. The devils forge burner heated faster but this is where the dishonest part cane to my notice. I say that the "competitors" burner was choked out and the devils forge burner was wide open on the choke. Now, I noticed the difference when I saw the video but any inexperienced folks looking for their first forge would likely not notice this and be swayed into buying their product. This is manipulative and misleading advertising. That's why I  will not do business with them. I guess I'll never know how they actually preform, but I'm happy with the burners I build/ buy from more honest salesmen. No sweat off my steel.