I Forge Iron

Best anvil for around $1200 or lower?

I've been scraping money together for a few months and I've decided to buy myself something really nice. I'm still searching for a halfway decent swage block with v-shaped grooves that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm looking at NIMBA anvils pretty long and hard, I used them for a few months and I was very impressed with them. They are however around $7-8/lbs, it's a little pricy but for 260lb's of love it might be worth it. However before blowing a grand and a quarter, I'd like a second opinion.

Is there something better than NIMBA?

You're not likely to find a pristine Soderfors that size for that little so I'd say that's about as good as you can expect. Nimba are top shelf anvils made in America from modern high quality steel and professionally heat treated. Pretty hard to beat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Is there some reason you need to buy a brand new anvil?  I had my Fisher anvil shipped from Massachusetts to South Carolina for only $200.   While it's not a pristine anvil, it's pretty darn close and I certainly haven't been hampered by the rough edges.  Total cost was still under $3/lb.

If I had $1200 to spend on an anvil, I could have one inside of a week just by browsing eBay and arranging shipping through u-ship.com or someplace similar.

As for the swage block, it would probably be easier to have one cut for you.  Finding an old one that's in good shape and has the cut-outs that you want.... it can take awhile!

There are lots of anvils for sale new but as Vaughn T said why buy a new one? 

Here are a few of the other new ones that are available besides Nimba anvils-

Refflinghaus - http://www.blksmth.com/Refflinghaus_Anvils.htm I beleive these are the best anvils currently being made.

Rhino anvils- http://www.incandescent-iron.com/rhan.html

Peddinghaus- http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/peddinghaus-anvils.html also avaiable thru other dealers

Old world anvils http://www.oldworldanvils.com/anvils/

The server ate my post but I'll just summarize. All the good stuff has already been picked clean in my area, especially since all the amish are flocking in. E-bay is just depressing, I can't even tell you how many 'ANTIQUE RUGGED ANVILS' that are either obviously cast iron or a foot long railroad cutoff both selling for over $100 each. I've also been burned by E-bay a few times.

So unless I want to go on a 12 hour roadtrip everytime I want to check out an anvil, I'll just have to buy new. I don't mind buying new because I'll know exactly what I'm getting.

JHM makes a nice anvil. I have one of their 125# Journeyman models. They also make one that is 250# that they call the Competitor. 

I agree though that you can get a nice used one for a bit less. Where are you located?

I wouldn't get a swage block until you have a definite need for one. May blocks just collect dust in smithys. 

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

I have a Nimba Titan and love it. I do not regret the purchase at all.

That being said I would love to have a Refflinghaus south german pattern.........Maybe some day.

If you need a swage block, look at Saltfork Craftsmen. You can get a 65# one for about $150. You'll have to do a little sanding on it but I like mine.

That being said I would love to have a Refflinghaus south german pattern.........Maybe some day.

If you need a swage block, look at Saltfork Craftsmen. You can get a 65# one for about $150. You'll have to do a little sanding on it but I like mine.

Have you noticed any deformities in the swage block? Any wear?

I looked for an anvil for a while and came up short. Locally an anvil runs $4/lb and fairly rough. Over the holliday weekend there was an add 20% off on a Rigid Peddinghaus free shipping. That put the model 12 at $1500 with tax. I was leaning towards the Nimba but the discount and free shipping on the Rigid was quite a savings comparatively. If you buy new you know what you're getting. As long as an anvil will last, the cost isnt that much.

Scott

Have you noticed any deformities in the swage block? Any wear?

No. But to be fair it is only a couple of months old and I am a Hobby guy so I'm not beating it every day like it owes me money. 

That being said I expect it will out live me by a large margin. 

Its made out of ductile iron but it doesn't really nead to be as hard as a anvil, at least not for the way I use it. Others may have another opinion.

I know there are quite a few of these things in circulation so maybe a few other members will chime in.

I guess I should add that the block is sent as it is popped out of the casting so it requires finishing by the smith. Apparently thats how they keep the cost down,. Not a big deal. get a flapper wheel and a die grinder and get after it......Works just Fine...Lasts Long Time!!!!

Edited by lawman

I really like my Nimba Titan also. I have the stump set up so I can pull the "feet" off from below to drop it down 4" and occasionally use it as a striking anvil with tooling in the hardy while making hammers. put the feet back under and raise it up and it's my larger of my travel anvils.

Thanks for sharing this about the Saltfork Craftsmen. I just checked out their site. $200 plus shipping for a new 36" cone mandrel! Gonna have to get one! I already have a nice swage block that I've been using a lot recently but that's a pretty decent price so I may just have to order one of those too.

Edited by Anthony San Miguel

Thanks for sharing this about the Saltfork Craftsmen. I just checked out their site. $200 plus shipping for a new 36" cone mandrel! Gonna have to get one! I already have a nice swage block that I've been using a lot recently but that's a pretty decent price so I may just have to order one of those too.

I have the cones as well. Like you I thought it was a good deal and had to pick one up. Shipping is a little steep @ $90 something dollars, but if you want a mandrel and have to have it shipped you are gonna pay no matter where you get it from. 

Haven't got too much use out of it yet but its nice to have in the arsenal.

Like I read someone say on here once before, "If its a tool you only need once, its a tool you needed!"

Edited by lawman