I Forge Iron

uncommon/rare Hay-Budden

I acquired a Hay-Budden, 204#, some months back and have tried to do some research, but can't find another one like it. It has three holes instead of two, the squared portion at the base of the horn only goes half-way, not all the way across. It does not have a serial number at the front under the horn like others, but does have 069 stamped on the side of the tail opposite the manufacturers stamp. Does anyone have a clue?

There used to be a Hay Budden catalog in the Anvils by Brand forum, but it disappeared with the site upgrade. I seem to recall seeing anvils with double pritchels but don't think I ever saw that half cut table version. Hay would custom make anvils, so this could be a special. It also looks like the hardie hole is not centered which seems odd as well.

In any case, she's a beauty and will last many generations to come.

Thanks for the info and replies. I'm attaching the photo from facebook which is identical to mine I think that would show no after market modifications on the one I have. Now I just need to find its value and how bad I need to keep it.

haybuddenfacebook.jpg

Actually did find some numbers on the foot earlier. It shows a C or O with the numbers 77. Could it be a very early model?

HI RHarrison. Welcome aboard. Please put your general location into your profile information - there might be a few IFI folk living nearby. 

Beat Frosty to it this time. ;) 

That looks like a nice anvil Though someone took a torch to it at some point. I'm sure there was a similar anvil posted on here not too long ago - does anyone else recall it? 

All the best 

Andy

- Edit - in other news this is my 1000th post on the forum. Woop woop. 

Edited by Everything Mac

HI RHarrison. Welcome aboard. Please put your general location into your profile information - there might be a few IFI folk living nearby. 

Beat Frosty to it this time. ;) 

That looks like a nice anvil Though someone took a torch to it at some point. I'm sure there was a similar anvil posted on here not too long ago - does anyone else recall it? 

All the best 

Andy

- Edit - in other news this is my 1000th post on the forum. Woop woop. 

I think I remember it but if I'm remembering it correctly the cliphorn extended all the way out whereas this one appears to have had it removed.

Didn't think anything had been removed given that I have found a few ones that look identical. It has been very interesting researching and getting info from folks like y'all

Everything Mac, location added and not too far from Nobody Special.

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2015 at 8:57 PM, Judson Yaggy said:

Looks factory to me.  AIA shows that Trenton made a very similar anvil (half a shelf, 2 pritchel holes) so it's no surprise that another major manufacturer did the same.  Hay-Bud specifically states in their adds that the made anvils to order.  

Thread CPR

I have one identical to what you describe. 150# Trenton I just bought. Curious is you could point me towards more information on it. I have no serial, seems gone. All I can see for sure is 150 and the worn out Trenton mark. I think its a Z150, but not 100% on the Z.

20181105_181431.jpg

20181105_204112.jpg