I Forge Iron

Some more recent projects

Everything Mac

These are just some of the projects coming out of my shed recently. 

I'm a terrible photographer and most of these were made a few months ago now but heres a few bits and bobs. 

"Dragon bottle opener" 

11097995_10155469326195655_9484442154146

Little "mushrooms" 

11698534_10155736808990655_7297722245542

11059770_10155732910255655_7987309746350

The start of a horse shoe "heart" 

11390195_10155662923090655_1958974062936

Which goes into making one of these Letter stands

Horseshoehearts.jpg

This is the start of a dragon style poker I've been playing around with. I'd like to make them a bit more dragon looking though 

11215843_10155786085480655_8151199403495

image.jpg

Finally this is a handle for a fire rake I made. I really love this design it feels great in the hand and looks nice too. 

11037253_10155477295720655_8108380014088

Thanks for looking 

Andy

I agree, that's gotta be the most loveable dragon I've seen in a long time. I like your fire rake handle a lot. I like things that look harder to make then they are, especially when they look and work well.

Nice bits and bobs Andy.

Frosty The Lucky.

That fire rake handle is very clever. I like the way you dealt with the 'loose' end of the twist - very neat!

There's really nothing too complex about it at all. I struggle with accurate fire welding so I forged the end to a point before folding it over and then arc welding the two together before twisting it. Then I drove a large drift through the hole to make sure it was round. 

You can see it at the very end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lix0PS8cAiM

All the best 

Andy

Since I never played dungeons and dragons like some Frostys out there ... well, I'm not a dragon man. But the mushrooms. Ah! I used the mushroom design in a job a few years ago. Yours are more detailed and quite elegant, lively. 

I buy in 2"x1/8" discs - heat them up and then put the disc over a hole in my swage block and batter them in with a rounded punch. 

Then I put a taper on some 5/8" round stock, cut it to length and usually upset the fat end slightly to give the mushroom a more stable base. Then I just tack weld the stem to the head. Nothing fancy just enough to hold it in place. 

All the best 

Andy

Nice that you can access 2" x 1/8" discs (at reasonable cost??) - I wanted some similar discs for a commissioned job making a comemmorative rose, and a set of four discs, from 3" down, cost me $40 from a local engineering shop. Makes for expensive roses. (I rough cut my own from scrap plate now).

I bought mine through a firm on eBay - I believe they are just offcuts from another job by the looks of it so they are cheap enough. I forget what I paid now but it can't have been that bad. 

BGD - you could certainly do it like that but I simply don't have the time/ energy. Two pieces is much more efficient for me.

Andy

If I couldn't buy disks for reasonable locally I'd have to chuck up a 2" dia. round bar in my cut off band saw. It'd probably take 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per cut and setting the stop would speed repeats. The cut off band saw is the only power tool I'll start and walk away from.

I think rather than weld the cap to the stem I'd braze them in the forge, it isn't structural after all.

I'm thinking some mushrooms might be in my future.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmm that's not a bad idea Frosty. Not a bad idea at all...

Andy

I wish I could remember the name of the fellow who showed us how easy and well it works I'd give him full credit. I'm proud to pass it along. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice that you can access 2" x 1/8" discs (at reasonable cost??) - I wanted some similar discs for a commissioned job making a commemorative rose, and a set of four discs, from 3" down, cost me $40 from a local engineering shop. Makes for expensive roses. (I rough cut my own from scrap plate now).