I Forge Iron

Bucket charcoal forge

JHCC

After an abortive attempt to make a coffee can gas forge (documented here), I decided to use an old metal bucket as the basis for a portable charcoal forge. Here's how it went down.

This is the bucket with the sides deeply notched, a hole cut in the side for the air intake, and the air intake fashioned from adobe. Wood ashes have been added to the bottom for insulation and to support the sides of the air intake.

IMG_20150807_132422020_HDR.jpg

The air intake finished and surrounded by ash. The vertical section is a slot rather than a round hole.

IMG_20150807_132648547_HDR.jpg

Edited by JHCC

Hang on; that's only halfway.

Here's the forge with a LOT more ash added and tamped down and a layer of adobe over top. The wad of newspaper is keeping the air intake from slumping.

IMG_20150807_135121450_HDR.jpg

And here it is set out to dry. The vertical distance from the top of the air inlet to the lip of the adobe is a bit less than two inches.

IMG_20150807_150506613_HDR.jpg

Interesting. Well, if necessary, I suppose I could build the sides up more. I've certainly got plenty of clay around here.

My old forge back in the day was for coal, so I suppose I'm influenced by that memory.

Edited by JHCC

I would suggest you read up on metal fume fever- even if the galvanized bucket doesn't burn right off, some of the zinc coating may flake into the fire. Dangerous and potentially deadly. Otherwise, it is a good design, if a little shallow. But, that can be fixed with chicken wire and clay. 

I think I'm going to go with a Lively forge, once I can scrape together a few bucks for the washtub (unless I find one at a yard sale for cheap). I've already got a couple of lengths of black pipe I can use, although the one that's long enough isn't threaded for an end cap and the one that's threaded for an end cap isn't long enough. Maybe I have a friend with a pipe threader....

Actually, all this is moot, since I happened across an old farm forge at an antique shop that I was able to convince my wife to squeeze into the budget. 

And yeah, I know I was saying before that I didn't have any room in the budget at all. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and go a little crazy. 

Now, was $125 a good price for this? It needs a new drive belt, and the ash door is a little rusty, but otherwise, everything appears to be solid and moving well (once is cleaned the rat's nest from the blower, that is).

IMG_20150809_145057985_HDR.jpg

Edited by JHCC

I've got it pretty well cleaned up and ready to go. I don't know what the heck had collected inside the blower, but it looked and smelled like raw sewage. Fashioned a belt (at least temporarily) from a piece of strapping I had hanging around, and built up a charcoal-type firebox from rubble, ash, and the adobe top of the bucket forge. Here's hoping!

IMG_20150809_165307326_HDR.jpg

Edited by JHCC