I Forge Iron

20lb anvil or Railroad track whats better

hey guys was looking to get a section of Railroad track for my first anvil. was thinking of using a sludge hammer then find the railroad track idea. While i was searching i found this 20lb Anvil . my question is what would be better this or RR. i heard the problem with small anvils like this is they are cast iron and they will break if you hit them to hard. So being forged steel i would assume thats better? Also heard that you measure an anvil by weight more than dimensions. The RR i was looking at was all around 10-15 lbs so again this looks better as its 20. its roughly the same price if you look at RR online im sure if you find it locally it would be cheaper but i had no luck doing so.

So basically what your guys thoughts on this little anvil as a starter. i know its probably not the best however, i want to start and i want to start cheap. so it was this or RR.

Edited by elzah

Well, he SAYS that it is forged steel, and everything that you read on the internet is true, right?

WRONG!!!!! Anvil shaped cast iron paperweight. Fleabay has no interest in dumping these scoundrels, who make a living foisting off utter dreck on an unsuspecting public.

Wow I'd avoid this seller just because of this "Our automated system is setup to leave positive feedback for a buyer after payment has been received and after I have received positive feedback from the buyer."  I would have thought it was against TOS to leave feedback for yourself.   But I avoid such places anyway; usually more expensive when you include shipping that getting something local.

RR Track (2'length at least) set vertical with the "end" surfaced flat tied onto a post firmly mounted into the ground.  Search this site for rail road track anvil info (best I've seen for general use is here: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/42290-another-rail-road-iron-anvil/ , but you can certainly get away without the extra work making a horn).

It's not just about weight, but weight under the hammer head. A 100 lb piece of sheet metal makes a poor anvil. But if you apply your thinking, it should be better than a 20lb sledge hammer right?  Just because it's heavier doesn't make it "better".

RR Track (2'length at least) set vertical with the "end" surfaced flat tied onto a post firmly mounted into the ground.  Search this site for rail road track anvil info (best I've seen for general use is here: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/42290-another-rail-road-iron-anvil/ , but you can certainly get away without the extra work making a horn).

that is a 12" of rail. 

I have done some research about that anvil type and it is forged steel from India.  How hard it is I have no idea.  That shape has been on the market for several years.  I tracked down the manufacturer back when and looked at their website.  Yuppers its steel.  Just not a shape people are used to seeing here in the US.  Now all that being said, is it a good anvil?  I have absolutely no idea.  It could be soft as butter.  It might not.  I don't think I would take a chance. 

How big of an anvil do you need?  I've been told by people who know these things that a 10-1 ratio is a minimum.  So on a 20 lb anvil.  A 2 lb hammer is your maximum use size.  Rebound, energy transfer, you know physics stuff. 

I have personally used a 20 lb anvil.  And made an axe on it.  It will do the job.  If you have nothing else.  Use what you have.  Personally I really enjoyed working on the little fella.  He sure was cute.