I Forge Iron

Chinese Hammer Differences

Exciting!

I wonder if they reckon to lift the entire hammer from that eye bolt or whether it is just for dropping the cylinder head on?

When I took the heads off my Alldays and Onions I found the pistons had the same thread machined in the top, so one could just transfer the eye bolt to draw the pistons out.

Alan

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hammer ships with an eye bolt in that spot so I think they mean for it to be used for transport.  I'm supposed to get a video of it in operation along with the request for the other 2/3 of my money within a week or so.  Then it will be probably 6 weeks to get from their shop to mine.  Just in time to arrive for my and my son's birthdays.  We share the date.

hello phabib, your post is really helpful, thanks for all the info and the debate that took place. I am a young blacksmith practicing the profession on a regular basis as an artist and a blacksmith. Because i am in Cyprus and the people who work steel with fire are very limited there is high demand for the jobs that we can do on the anvil. As a result the profession grew and i am now thinking of getting a power hammer to help with the work overload and the fact that i am getting exhausted almost every day. At the beginning i was thinking of going for the sahinler SM50 because Turkey the country of its manufacture is the closest to Cyprus and its price was very good straight from the factory but it was still high for me. so i contacted another company who used to import all the power hammers in Cyprus back in the day. They sent their offer today for a Chinese hammer and i was lucky enough to find you discussing for the same model. The thing is that i think mine is from a different company but the model is the same. I have some pics as well to post. would you please take a look at it and tell me if you think that it is the same machine that you ordered? what did you do with the dies btw? does it come with several dies or is there the possibility to order some different types of dies with the order of the hammer? this is at an affordable price for me so i am thinking about it seriously. any help would be appreciated. the company is TENGZHOY WELLON MACHINERY CO. LTD

Website address removed.

power hammer.jpg

Test.

The previous was an attempt to get around the forbidden error.  I wanted to see if a short message would post and then try to edit that message.

The short message did post, but when I tried to edit it with my actual post I got an error telling me I could no longer edit, possibly because the original message was too old.  Maybe a minute had elapsed.

I think that all of these factories started with the same copy of the Beche design and were set up all over China back in the old days.  Now they are independent and trying to earn a living.  I'm sure that the service, quality, support, and attention to detail will vary from factory to factory, and as others have pointed out don't expect much in the way of warranty or help if you're only buying one.  I don't know anything about the factory you're looking at so I have no idea if they'll be a good one or not.

ok thanks for the opinion but i am wondering how come and they have the same model (C41-20KG) and the same two piece design? is it possible that it is the same factory that produces them? or the model doesn't matter at all and maybe there are a lot of factories producing the same design and model with varietions in their construction? 

Lots of different factories making 'C41' hammers in China. I have purchased hammers from companies other than Anyang around 3 years ago, and the quality was so comically poor I could not (and really still can't) believe it. 

Ive still got a new, un-run 40 kg knocking around at the top of the bay here. I should really just scrap it as that would be more economical that making it serviceable for re-sale. It took all I know about hammers to get the other ones I bought running ok.

Quality inspection seems to be 'make sure there are no scratches in the body filler under the paint' rather than anything to do with engineering or hammer performance.

So, in answer to the thread title 'yes' there are lots of differences between different Chinese hammer manufacturers.

The hammers might be better now than the ones I bought ! 

caveat emptor.

This is outside of the question you asked so I hope you'll forgive my offering an opinion you didn't ask for.  I Agree 100% with nonjic.  It is a big risk buying something you've never seen from someone who has no incentive to treat you well.  This is a tool that will make you money when it works and cost you money when it doesn't.  The extra cost of a hammer with a dealer to support it will look like chump change when you have a deadline and your reputation is on the line to get a job done.  If it takes me 6 months of tinkering to get my hammer working, its a project.  In your case, its time away from your job and costing you.

thanks a lot for your advice. it answered the questions that i had. would you say that the anyang is a better than the C41?maybe my dealer here in Cyprus could contact the anyang company and get me the prices for those. would that be a safer choice? or maybe i can see to get the one i found to be refurnished but i don't know if i can get it yet from the school. still expecting an answer. do you think that this will cost a lot to be refurnished? i know for certain that it has seen minimal use because it was in the school where no one used it but on the other hand it has been outside for some years now. the cost of purchase is below 1000 euros but i am not sure what it will need to work, only the motor is missing from the inside while the rest is still intact and hasn't been tempered with. It is from a Russian manufacturer from the time it was USSR.      

20150703_123007.jpg

I'm sure that some have made improvements or modifications to the original design over time, but they are very similar.

I think the Russian hammer for $1000 euros will be hard to beat.  You could invest that much again into repair and still come out ahead.

I am currently waiting for a reply from the Turkish government if they can let it go and for its exact price. but yeah it is a very good deal. i hope that they come through since they have no use for it anymore. I will update here for any news and hopefully some more pictures of its acquisition and repair.!! Btw everyone i got a suspicious pm the other day by a member Benita99. i think it is a false account hacking or fishing members. 

Go for the russian hammer, it will still be going strong long after when a Chinese hammer has been made into razor blades.  I would suspect that the russian job will need a polish on the rod, some lube and clean the filters if it has any and see if it will turn over.  If it turns over and every thing moves I would say good to go.

thanks for your opinion. if i could get it it would have been in my workshop by now but it belongs to the goverment and i need permission to get it. we have sent them a letter and still waiting for their responce. if they come through i will be quite happy, but for now we can only wait.. thanks again though for all your opinions!

More news on my hammer from the factory:  

Hi Mr.Philippe Habib, Sorry for replying you so later. I think I must delay the shipment date.

Because our here rains three days,we don’t Paint it now.The bad weather is not suitable For painting. The weather forecast said it may become better. I wish tomorrow would be sunny day.

If there is any good news,I would tell you.

Have a nice day.

MAN!  I was hoping for good news. I am holding off on my order as long as possible to make sure you are happy with your machine.  From what I've seen so far, I am leaning toward using a different company.  It seems once they get your $ they offer excuse after excuse as to why it has not been shipped.

Senator

MAN!  I was hoping for good news. I am holding off on my order as long as possible to make sure you are happy with your machine.  From what I've seen so far, I am leaning toward using a different company.  It seems once they get your $ they offer excuse after excuse as to why it has not been shipped.

Senator

It's a pity a shop with the tools to make a power hammer doesn't have a good spray booth

I guess you are both glass half empty guys...excuse after excuse?

I would  be thankful they realise the limitations of their spraying facilities in overcoming ambient atmospheric conditions. I wish whoever made my Bobcat 360 digger had done so before they bodged the paint job on that. It has peeled away in sheets....pathetic in this day and age.

Alan

On 9/24/2015 at 9:44 AM, Alan Evans said:

I guess you are both glass half empty guys...excuse after excuse?

I would  be thankful they realise the limitations of their spraying facilities in overcoming ambient atmospheric conditions. I wish whoever made my Bobcat 360 digger had done so before they bodged the paint job on that. It has peeled away in sheets....pathetic in this day and age.

Fair enough Alan.   I work in automobiles and automobile reconditioning for my primary employment.  My guys all work on a very tight production schedule.  I can assure you that if I were given "the weather" as an excuse as to why they didn't get the proper work done I would treat that in similar fashion as my comments listed above.  You are professionals, darn well act like it. 

I am not entirely discounting this company; it is making me second guess my choice, and all the time I have spent emailing back and forth.  I will with hold any sort of personal judgment until after phabib gets his hammer in and can vouch for them...whether it being a positive or negative.

Respect,

Senator

I must admit I can be pretty bad at communication with my clients. I try and keep them posted as to progress, but on the smaller more personal projects, especially if I am struggling for inspiration, I put off letting them know the bad news of delays.

I have no problem letting them know if it is going well!

I thought in this particular instance though, the original delivery was reckoned six weeks after construction and delivery was expected end of October-ish so it has not slipped that far yet....I wish the project I am currently blocked on was only that late.

I also recognised the similarity between my approach and them wanting to wait for good conditions to produce a better quality job. I always stress when I am faced with a deadline/penalty clause in a contract, that it is far better for every one to have a piece that "sings" a few weeks late rather than a "so so" piece on time.

But then again,  I am trying to create an one off art work rather than one of a series from a production line.

The poor paint job on my Bobcat digger is a case in point though. That was a machine from a major manufacturer made in 1999 and when the paint layers came off you could see the superficial swirls of an abrasive pad just in the centre of the panel with no keying or cleaning up around the perimeter so the edges just lifted after a few years. If they had been as concerned about the quality and longevity of their finish as these hammer makers appear to be I would be a lot happier.

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

I'm not too worried about the schedule slip.  I just found it kind of funny that there is an otherwise finished and ready to go hammer sitting in their factory and they can't ship because of the weather.  Sure, I wish it was here and working, but I understand things take time and even if they had to put my order on the back burner for a few days to get more pressing or profitable work out, I understand that's just one of the tradeoffs you sometimes have to make to run a business.  Included with that email were a couple more photos.

I don't know how to turn the picture to show the right way, but you can see the filler on the casting waiting for paint.

power hammer 1.jpg