I Forge Iron

"Chassis" 3D printed cast bronze liner lock with W2 and iron

TheoRockNazz

Howdy all,

I'm back with my newest 3D printed shenanigans. Blade is W2 and pure nickle twisted together, wrought iron spine - can you guess what fellow IFI member inspired the pattern? The frame is printed in plastic then lost-wax style cast in bronze. I designed it so the locking arm is built into the frame. The action is quite smooth, and the release pressure is just where I want it. 

20150717_090239-01.thumb.jpeg.094a3f210520150717_090402-01.thumb.jpeg.a8e8b8dbb220150717_090116-01.thumb.jpeg.c5d27e4c0c20150717_090010-01.thumb.jpeg.75603a85dc20150717_085648-01.thumb.jpeg.c8e48658f320150717_085750-01.thumb.jpeg.98da30e37d

Several flaws stand out to me about the fit n finish and the action could be tweaked. I am considering a more modern pin; I've had to repin several times to adjust the action. Obviously this is the prototype, so I would love to hear input/critique as I make improvements for a series.

Theo

Hey, I just noticed your post Theo! I'll flog my mind diligently and come up with some critiqueE thing to say if you really want. . . . Uh . . . About your Avatar. :P

Of course flaws jump out at you, real or not. I love the pattern, unbusy and good contrast. The 3D printing is as usual wicked cool.

Oh the pin. Do SOMETHING about that will ya? :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

3D printing in metal isn't sci fi and I'd really like to see the blades. I'm thinking photographic quality patterned blades. Jim Binnion is sintering powdered metals for mass produced Mokume ring blanks.

If you've ever seen sand painting and sand painting in glass bottles you have an idea of how patterns can be developed.

I'd just LOVE to be able to afford an induction forge, I have a 100ton punch I could modify as a press. Zirconium oxide ceramic press dies and a little tinkering to get it right. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Experimenting with different blade shapes, I think I like this more

W2 blade differentially hardened - I would never put a hole with a sharp edge in a hardened area, so the hamon is 1/4"" away from the edge. Gave this guy a quick hot blue, my first time doing that on a blade. Stupidly have been using it like crazy before taking pictures and got a nice scratch going already.

Which blade shape do you like more?

20150922_090051-01.jpeg

20150922_090109-01.jpeg

20150922_090128-01.jpeg

Edited by TheoRockNazz

• 5 months later...

It is awesome to see modern technological advances put to work in a contemporary art form. I think it looks amazing. 3D printing isn't controversial ...it is game changing and you are fully embracing that and applying it to an age old manufacturing process.

I think I prefer the first blade...but that might be just because of the pattern? I like the straight back style of the second one but .....even though you would think the hexagon holes would go well with the handle pattern ...to me they seem off. Almost like they should belong on something more like a utility multi-tool and not a beautiful folder. I think it would look epic with a dark patterned tanto or clip point personally. But that is just my humble critique as a noob. Keep up the amazing work!

• 4 weeks later...

Theo,  I think you made a nice knife and I'd be proud to turn out something like it.  Considering your request for critique, I have a couple of thoughts based on how your design inspires me. 

First, the pattern in the handles looks a little like woven rattan to me.  From a context standpoint, the square edged border frames the fluid weaving pattern into a slab-like arrangement.  Part of what's so cool about 3D printing is how you can mimic familiar textures in completely new materials.  I don't have the foggiest idea how you'd do it, but I think if that woven pattern was continued to connect the two slabs along the back, you'd have a liner lock that looked like a hidden tang knife on three sides, except you can peek through the pattern to see what's going on.

My next thought is if you were to carve a piece of wood similar to a creeping vine that "grew" into the lattice pattern of your handle. If it worked it's way from one side to the other via the back, it'd be particularly interesting.

Like this one quite a bit.  Overall form language is really getting there.  I'm confused by rockstar's note as I see the woven pattern already connecting the back.

As far as constructive criticism I have the following, take or ignore as you prefer:

1. Like others I don't care for the pivot.  Would prefer to see something either subtle enough to blend in with the rest of the bronze, or really standing out as a design element (like the copper harness burrs some use for rivet supports).  I also feel that the pivot is in a location that is not as "aesthetically" balanced as it could be.  To me it feels like it should be lower on the handle, more in line with the parallel straight line that sits just below the spring latch (cudos on making that out of the same material and casting as the handle, that is a brilliant move).  In the position I am suggesting it would also make the latch work a bit better against the pivot, as the radius would be a bit larger.  Yes, I know that would call for a significant redesign, so probably not worth the effort.
  2. I like the mono steel blade shape better, but don't care for the octagonal holes.  Love the pattern weld blade, but think it is a bit to busy for this knife.
  3. Also really like the inset wood slab sections.  How did you attach them to the bronze?  Looks kind of like a bezel setting, with maybe some epoxy?  Would be interesting if the bezel setting was a bit further proud of the plane of the edges of the handle.

Like I said, this is really wonderful work, just as it is.  Suggestions above are only minor issues of my personal aesthetics.  I'd be proud to own one like this and thrilled if I had the skills to make such. 

Very much agree with latticino's second point: the pattern-welded blade is just a little too busy for the complex handle design. The simple monochrome blade works much better -- it's a good contrast with the complexity.

I tried to post this back in the fall, but kept getting the forbidden thing so I quit trying.  I'll give it another go since the thread is still alive:

My company uses the various 3D printing technologies every day.  (Actually, several times a day)  SLS, SLA, FDM, UV Acrylic, Direct to metal, direct to wax etc.  About the only thing we don't use on a regular basis are the systems that can print sand molds directly for sand casting.  We bought our first SLS machine back in 1999, and it's been off to the races ever since.  I know the value and limitations of this technology quite well.

What I would like to see you do is spend a few hours fetteling the surface finish of the parts.  I know how much time it takes to do it, and it would be a few hours invested.  However, you already have many hours invested in the CAD work not to mention the blade.  Spend some time to smooth out your positive parts before you invest them for casting.  I think the results would be mind blowing.

The resins respond very well to wet sanding.  The detail you are creating will make sanding challenging, but it can be done.  You might consider the direct to wax options which would allow you to flame the surface smooth rather than sand.

Anywhooo, you asked for critique, so there it is .  Take or ignore as you wish.

As for the 3D printing technology in knifemaking, I don't see it as cheating, just different strokes for different folks.

• 5 months later...