I Forge Iron

Little advice and maybe dateing if possible

sirsparky1807

After a year of hunting finally found a post vice I wanted , need some advice on what type of grease to us in the gear box . I was thinking about using bearing grease but before I cleaned the old out and used wanted to check if the would be the right stuff to use . 

Secondly can any one maybe tell me how old it is I know it was forged , and forged welded there is no markings to be found . I know it's wrought iron and 5 layers were used on each side , and markes of a hot cutoff left on the bottom of the jaw opposite the post . 

Not going to wire wheel just lightly wire brush and oil , any advice will be greatly appriciated .image.thumb.jpg.8c96966429f586076186616d

Nice score Sparks. Any modern grease is good, Re Charles. No need for fancy grease, it'd probably be happy with lard. I'm not recommending lard but it'd work fine though you might have the neighborhood dogs hanging around. Of course you could tell some great tall tales about, the dog packs that kept your leg vise licked clean.

Frosty The Lucky.

I suggest not using grease since it traps scale, dirt, filings and dust and turns into an abrasive paste over time. I suggest regularly oiling the screw instead. I use any heavy weight oil I have on hand. It is much easier to clean and change than grease is and traps much less crud extending the life of the screw/screw box.

Sure she was a twitter to start and I'm not sure why the whole age and vice angle ruined the fun for her but . . . I mean really what's life without a little vice if one isn't too aged to enjoy it that is.

You DO realize you're asking a primarily male group about Dating? Hmmmm, maybe that's what has her wondering.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol didn't know there were that many lonely smiths out there or I would have rephrased the way I wrote the title to it . 

It sounded like YOU were lonely, if there were a LOT you wouldn't need to ask you know. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty with all the post on here that I've read I should have known that type of response would be coming out soon . Lol No No problems in that area here , lol  But if anyone has a guess on the age of the vice sure would be happy to hear it . From all that I've been able to find out is that , with the way it was made and all it might be from the late 1800 or early 1900's does that sound close ?