I Forge Iron

Vice height for filing

Nick

I found this illustration demonstrating how to determine vise height, similar to using the knuckles as a guide for anvil height.  This is optimized for filing, of course.  My vice is a little lower, which usually works well for me, but when I'm filing I do tend to lean against the heel of the anvil, which lowers me to about this height.

f32dce15648466e86ef24e939cb28467.jpg

I have several set at different heights but agree with fig. 4 that around my elbow is usually comfortable for most work.  However, lower is good when using a right angle grinder (something this fellow didn't have) and higher is better when doing fine detailed work - such as with needle files.

But that is for filing when you are wearing a vest and tie!

So refreshing that it's not "a vice must be at 37"" but rather it is based on the person's measurement.

I think my postvises range all over the place with the heavy ones tending shorter so you can hammer on them more easily

Filing is usuallya whitesmith/fitter/engineers operation rather than blacksmithing, the vise being suitable and positioned for the job being done, as a general rule fig 4 would be best practice for a 'smithing situation, also useful when using a hacksaw.

Geometry of the body parts would dictate the best height, in this instance so you can achieve a flat face square to your stance. Similar rules apply to using a scythe or other hand powered tools in other industries/situations.

Well, isn't this another of those head slapper moments. Just imagine, the best height for filing level is the one where our arms swing naturally! :o

I'm trying to remember what my first metal shop teacher said about that, one of our first projects was filing a cube.

Thanks for posting the instructions, I needed that.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Yeah Frosty, the first project in gunsmithing school was filing a thread pitch gauge for a lathe.  Gave two weeks for the project.  Two tools: hacksaw and file.  It was checked using a machinists square and holding it up to a light.  If the instructor saw light between the pieces, keep working.  Plus it had 4 60 degree angles to be filed in the same manner.  This was for a $7 tool to buy one.  I figured it it was a project to weed out people without the stick to-itiveness.  The next 4 projects had the same scrutiny.

possum

Also my first was a cube. It then was turned indo a dice with brass inserts for the eyes. I still have it.

I see in the pic that I am wrongly dressed for the occasion :D but he has no bow tie :o.

It reinforces one of my hobby horses "Whatever you do. Use a stable and natural stance and move naturally!"

I have no time to look up the exact wording by Miyamoto Musachi who won over thirty duels. Some were won using a wooden sword against a katana. Anyway he said "do not think about using this step or that step or this way or that way. Cut down the enemy!" Change to "Hit the iron" and there you are. 

Göte

Book of the Five Rings? Why am I not surprised....y'all actually just blew my mind. I've thought about heighth before, and never considered mounting more vises...doh!

Then yesterday, thread slipped on my old faithful. Worn and possibly slightly mushed. Any hopes of cleaning it up with a tap, or need to frankenstein it? Nonstandard thread, right? Sigh...

Anyways, dug out the other one that's been sitting in the corner for six months with a mangled leg. Got it straightened, still kinda short, may forge weld in a piece of mild...should be interesting, I think it's wrought.