I Forge Iron

Making gas forge

Ruddock

I'm looking to build a gas forge, it is going to be a forced air forge. The shape is a cylinder and the length is 2ft and the diameter is 1ft with 2 inch of insulation around the circumference. Nothing is made yet in case I need to change the size but I needed to know how many burners would this need to get to welding temperature. I have the ability to make a burner if there is a designs available. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good Morning,

Post your location in your avatar. There will be members who are close enough, for you to look at other Forges.

The short answer; The focus of the heat is only where the nozzle is. If you want a long welding heat, use a Ribbon Burner. Information is in the archives.

Let me guess, You are starting out and you want to make a sword:angry::angry::(

Neil

I do blacksmithing in a coal forge and have made a few knives but I want to move onto gas and want to make longer knives or swords. I want to make a gas forge and the burners but need a design and the amount of burners needed.

Start small and then work your way up bigger.

Here's a very simple plan: 

http://www.zoellerforge.com/simplegasforge.html

See also the freon can forge by Ron Reil 

www.abana.org/ronreil/minifor1.shtml

I'm not a big fan of the Reil burner - I think the sidearm and T burner are easier for most beginners to fabricate, or the one made using a Wye reducer.

Whatever  you do, seal the ceramic insulating fiber, you'll not have to breathe particles if it's sealed.

This might sound mean but I don't know of a way to say it without it sounding any nicer even though I don't intend to sound harsh. Have you done any research? Google searches will answer that question if you just take the time to invest the little effort. You can find out how many/what size burners for a given volume as well as plans for said burners.

How much can you forge in one heat? As your stated goal is a long blade, again I strongly suggly suggest a single burner forge and a multi burner heat treat oven (a ribin burner might be aproriat there)  vikings, romans, the folks from demascus all forged their swords 6" at a time. Open your mind, your going the wrong direction, thats why every every one else looks like they are in the wrong lane!

I suggest that you check out the two attachments on my Forge Supplies page on my web-site at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

For what you describe I suggest a ribbon burner.  For a forge that size a 12" burner should work well.  You can get the blower at www.kayneandson.com.  Get the smaller one at $125.00.

Let me know if I can help you.

Ruddock: You're looking for easy answers so you don't have to learn what you need to know to do this stuff. There is NO answers that will short cut you to success. Your obvious lack of knowledge or understanding of what you want to do is why I only tried helping you once.

How many people have tried to tell you building a sword size forge is a waste of time and money but you still think that's what you need.

Take some classes when you're old enough. Till then do some REAL research, asking for THE answer on an open forum isn't going to do you much if any good.  Seriously, the questions you're asking have been answered probably hundreds of times on Iforge let alone checking out a couple books from the library.

Do some research, gun burners are so simple you should be embarrassed to ask.

Frosty The Lucky.

First of all there are no classes in the north of Ireland. In fact blacksmithing or bladesmithing is very rare over here, perhaps some in the south. I'm only a young enthusiast looking to learn these techniques and save some money along the way by making the tools. The way I learn is up to me.

Wayne may have the right Idea, Jerry. Help the young, uh "man" spend his money. 

​I was going to recommend buying a lawn mower and earning enough to just buy the forge he wants. Unfortunately that isn't acceptable. If a person won't do the most basic research on his/er own then they can carry on however they like. I'm not about to spend MY time so they don't have to use their time.

Their time, their way. Message received and understood.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you don't want to help that's fine but I have done the basic research. I know the types of forges, different burners available, what to use for insulation. All I needed was a design I could use and modify for my own needs which where clearly outlined in the first post. What would you classify as "basic research"

Do you need a snikers bar, master Frost?! Lol. We all fell for it.

​Naw, I can't believe I've wasted this much time already and there's a GOOD pun thread running with worthy players. I'll have a snack though my blood sugar might be low or I wouldn't've replied to this thread in the first place.

Elsewhere, later.

Frosty The Lucky.

​Naw, I can't believe I've wasted this much time already and there's a GOOD pun thread running with worthy players. I'll have a snack though my blood sugar might be low or I wouldn't've replied to this thread in the first place.

Elsewhere, later.

Frosty The Lucky.

Where's the pun thread? I can't seem to find it...