I Forge Iron

FIrst light of T Burner. Advice?

Kekron

Hey guys, Last night I finished fabricating my first forger burner. I decided to go with Frosty's T burner mostly because of ease of fabrication and cost of parts (I can always go back and try something else so why not go with the cheap and easy first :P).

https://youtu.be/Axr3Ri0T2iw

http://imgur.com/a/NnpxG

Before I move forward with the final stages of my forge build I wanted to run this by you guys and see what you think. It looks to me, based on the few videos Ive seen of other T burners in action, that it works fine. Good enough for use in the forge. If anything I'm a little concerned that it might be too powerful, but I need to do another volume measurement of my forge chamber before I can entertain that idea.

some specs: 1" x 8" pipe nozzle 1" x 1" x 1" pipe tee 5/8" hand machined brass fitting 3/8" hand machined brass jet with 0.045" orifice

Thoughts?

You lit the wrong end. <sigh> Light the end that goes in the forge, NOT the end that draws combustion air into the burner. Mount the burner in the forge, light a little ball of paper and throw that in the forge and gradually open the gas valve to light the burner.

No telling if the burner is the right size without knowing what the volume ad shape of the forge chamber is. The general ratios sound good, 1x8" tube 1"x1"x1" T and a 0.045: jet is good for a departure point. It may need a little tuning to be optimum but that's in the ball park.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...