I Forge Iron

Hummingbirds

I used to wear a red cap and liked the buzz when they flew close to my head, then one, probably a youngster tried sampling my ear canal. A red shirt and black cap still got them crazy close but out of my ears. They're surprisingly LOUD less than an inch from  your ear!

I love the hummers but they don't like the upper deck because the (drats the only one I can think of is Finch, one of half a dozen regulars) other birds defend the feeders aggressively, darned stinkers will try to chase me off for getting something out of the freezer. Ah HAH! The robins are mellow and the wood peckers are after the suet and peanut blocks. Got more, Sparrows, Stellars Jays, Mocking birds and Camp Robbers are sometimes hold free for alls over the feeders. I think the Korvids look at humming birds as prey.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Thank you wicon for posting that split cross version. Quite a bit of bench work with this sculpture I came up with. Forging, mig welding, flap disk. Drilled a hole in the center of the flower to  stick the tip of the beak in, then used some copper wire to solder it in place.

hummingbird4.jpg

hummingbird5.jpg

Thank you everybody for the kind words, couldn't of come up with the idea without arkie's inspiration. Now that I have an idea how much 3/4" is needed, next time I'll try upsetting the center of the work piece to give the bird a rounder more plump look. Well, one of these days...when all the other ideas in my head go away.