I Forge Iron

some kind of blacksmith knife

matei campan

That is just beautiful, it flows so elegantly and has such a tasty organic look. A story of a mythical tree leaf that when picked at the right moment turns into an unequaled knife comes to mind. (of course that's just in my dented head but it's where I live) Elvish also comes to mind.

I really REALLY like this one Matei.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for showing this. I have thought about doing a knife with that type of handle since the usual way looked uncomfortable to me.

Is it all heat treated the same, or did you just quench the blade, allowing the handle to remain softer? Don't know if you did this in a forge,or an oven.

I really appreciate your appreciations :)

here is the "father" of this knife, I posted it already on IFI some time ago, enough to be forgotten. I'm not sure if it still exists on IFI. it's the same design solution, but more "art-nouveau-ish" - http://s908.photobucket.com/user/matei-campan/library/blacksmith?sort=3&page=1

the more difficult part is the transition from the blade's plane to the handle's plane - the "T" section. the rest is question of patience (I started from 20mm diameter stock).  I only HTed  the blade, but the handle is very strong. and I brazed the handle's end to the "heel" of the blade. could not be stronger.

that was my idea too, to improve the ergonomics of the grip, the comfort, and the aesthetics followed.

I have to agree with everyone else. That is just beautiful. 

Frosty's comment about the mythical leaf knife has me wondering what one would look like with leaf texturing in the flat handle portions... oooh and bark/vine allong the t part of the spine and the rest of the handle. But alas, my own skill level with forging is nowhere near that level of competency yet, I will have to wonder and imagine, unless someone with a higher level of skill and ability were to do one... :ph34r:

Edited by LastRonin
My tablet has a tendency to do odd repetitions of letters or even whole words if I switch to the symbols page while typing, you know, for things like hyphens.