I Forge Iron

What are these?

I found these today when I was walking in the forest behind my house and don't  know what they are. They were both bent but I somewhat straightened the one on the left. They are about  12 inches tall, very thin sheet steel. I know it's not blacksmithing, so if I shouldn't have posted it then mods can remove it, but does anybody have any ideas of what these are and what they are used for? Maybe a little story? I like to learn. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cable reels. Are there any overhead or underground cable runs nearby, telephone for example?

Maybe fencing wire reels, though the barbed wire over here is normally supplied on an double cross beamed  "H" shaped wooden frame. And the high tensile wire would not be wrapped that tight...

I have talked myself back round to cable :)

What size are they?

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Steel 50 gallon drum split lengthwise half filled with sand makes two really good fire pits.

I have a stillage full of part used cable reels, most are steel centres with either cardboard or hardboard discs. One or two are all steel like those. I have heavier cables on steel centres with heavy plywood discs.

Alan

I tend to be wary of 55 gallon drums discarded "causally" due to fear of possible previous contents.  Had a friend who was going to build a BBQ from one when I pointed out it was labeled as having held toxic chemicals.  Now the ones that are used to ship foodstuffs are fair game...

They just dont look like large cable reals, and the most likely culpriate for dumping that kind of real around thies parts is some one putting up electric fence wire (deer protection for gardens or small stock, as the farmers usualy have their own middens) but I dont doubt you about small cable. 

Problem with the ones that are "food safe" is the plastic liner. After the aplication of heat and fire is it any more/less safe? Not to say I would use one that PCB's or such were shiped in but i dont think I'd worry about one containing 15w40 or 5w30 (lord knows I have ingested enugh of that) anymore than one with a plastic liner that has to be burnt off. I see the same recomindation with ugly smokers. Wash, burn, wire brush and wash... 4% hydrogen peroxid from the hairdresser will nutrilize a lot of organic material, so one might consider it as a final step in the "wash" end of things. 

I think you are right Charles on the electric fence wire, highly possible. The only thing I was wary about them as electric fencing spools is that is often reused on a seasonal basis over here so comes on rewindable reels doesn't it?  

Having said that, my mark one foot hammer was built on the angle iron frame of an electric fence reel that was so large it could take the wire off half a dozen of those reels. Probably was not bought loaded, as it looked slightly agricultural in construction.

You are right about the toxic nasties Thomas, can't think anybody would be so anti social to dump toxic waste though...

The only drum I have cut up was red rust inside and out so I have no idea what was in it originally...hmmm that could explain the oily flavour of the fish....

Alan

No officer I was not dumping stuff ON the pile, I was sorting through the pile for the good stuff to carry home. 

Shades of Alice's Restaurant complete with 27 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles, arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

Oh no !! The youngins are not going to understand that reference.

Edited by Glenn

No officer I was not dumping stuff ON the pile, I was sorting through the pile for the good stuff to carry home. 

Shades of Alice's Restaurant complete with 27 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles, arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

...explaining what each one was, to be used in evidence against us…​happily or sadly I not only understand the reference but I used to be able to play it (still can-ish) and recite it verbatim! (still can't-ish!) 

It was another song that couldn't be beat.

Alan

I agree with Charles looks like fence wire reels to me, I've strung miles of the stuff over the years and we dropped a few in the woods as well, usual when Gramps wasn't with us. 

Good lord Glenn I haven't thought of Alice's Restaurant in years.  Last time I mentioned it at a family party there was heads nodding and a lot of blank stares from the younger set. I do occasionally use the Term 8 x 10 glossies in normal speech.   

Edited by notownkid
spelling error

happily or sadly I not only understand the reference

​Reference was to Graeson taking a chance of being caught, by an officer, in the act of removing the metal reels from where they were dumped in the woods. 

I hate to say I've never listened to the whole thing before. But I have now and I laughed the whole time. Thanks, Glenn.

​Reference was to Graeson taking a chance of being caught, by an officer, in the act of removing the metal reels from where they were dumped in the woods. 

​?? read what I said again Glenn.

Not only did I understand your reference, but my first line continued your quote…. :) as did my last line...

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans