I Forge Iron

looking to buy an anvil

So I'm looking to buy an anvil a guy I work with has. He says it weights approx 275 I didn't see any marking on it and had a nice ring.  I'm going to go back again this weekend but I'm going to take my grinder and check to see if it's cast iron or steel. Any information would be great.  Thanks!  

Picture0511151948_1.jpg

Picture0511151947_1.jpg

Picture0511151954_1.jpg

I'm fairly certain that the anvil isn't cast iron.  I say this based on the handling holes under the horn.  Also based on that, I believe what you're looking at is a forge welded wrought iron anvil.  I can't tell if there's a maker mark/weight stamping/serial number from the pictures.  I'm not sure, but I think I see the welded tool steel face, with a little bit of minor abuse from someone that got a little happy with a chisel.

I'm sure ther will be someone that will have better input than mine, but it is a start.

Edited by Quarry Dog

flats on the feet with a handling hole in them.  My bet is that it's a Peter Wright and will be a wrought iron body and steel faced anvil.  As cast iron and wrought iron can look similar when spark tested you may not learn much with the grinder.

A better test would be the ball bearing test.

Note any weight markings will be in the CWT system   X Y Z  =>  X x 112 + Y x 28 + Z = weight in pounds. (and Y should be 0-3 and Z 0-27)

Please don't take a grinder to it. I doubt it's a cast aso. Those handling holes aren't there for decoration. Way better to take a ball bearing or small ball peen hammer and check for rebound. If the anvil is dead, you don't want it. Even if it sparks well it could still have a delamination problem you wouldn't know about without doing a rebound test.

Handling holes and ledges on the feet are much too crisp to be an ASO. The different texture between the face and body says wrought iron/steel face to me.

I have found that taking even a few thousandths of an inch off the face will drop the face hardness from the 50's to the 40's on the Rockwell C scale. So go gently with any sanders or grinders. Far better to massage the face with a polished rounded 4 lb sledge hammer to even out the dents.

Ok no grinder!  This is why I posted pictures and asked. There are no markings on the body anywhere. I was thinking about flipping it over and do a spark test on the bottom of one of the feet.  But not anymore now. thanks for all your Guys input! 

$200 for a 275 pound anvil and you should have bought it already.

Take it home and make something nice for the fellow that sold it to you. Then put it to use so the anvil can pay for itself.

Put some light oil or ATF on the anvil to slow down any rusting.

Please add your location to your profile as there may be blacksmiths near you.

Edited by Glenn

Yes a grinder is a common method of telling steel from cast iron.  Not appropriate in this case; but at least they are aware of the difference and wanted to be sure to avoid an ASO.  We tend to yell at folks who buy without testing; I'm not going to come down on someone who was going to test even if the method was not the best.