I Forge Iron

Variable regulator for two burner forge

Michael Cochran

Variable regulator for two burner forge  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What size regulator would you/do you use on a two burner gas forge?

• 0-20 psi
    • 0-30 psi
    • Other

I need a new regulator for my two burner NC Tool forge and I'm unsure what size regulator to replace it with. I just bought the forge and it has a busted 0-20psi regulator on it but someone has suggested that I might want a little more just in case. So here I am asking all you more knowledgeable gassers out there for some help.

I just have a one burner forge and I got a 0-60 psi regulator for it. I usually never go above about 15 psi though.  I got mine at my local welding supply. I know it's overkill, but I won't have to get another one when I upgrade my forge.

I just heard back from one of the guys who uses a NC farrier's forge. He says it'll work between 7-15 psi so a 0-20psi reg should be fine. However it comes from the factory with a 0-35psi reg so that's what he'd put on it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty
My opinion was corrected by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Honestly, Thomas, I haven't thought anything about it. I was just gonna put a 0-20 back on it but it was suggested to me on my topic where I shared my good day last Friday that maybe I'd want a bigger one. Seeing as how I don't know much about gas forges and cannot find anythin online about the model I have (1050 iirc which is no longer made) I thought I'd ask what other people are using. Also everythin I know manufacturers and engineers have little real world experience givin them a different understanding than those who actually work in the field. No offense intended to any engineers out there, just an observation about the ones I've dealt with.

Good Morning M Cochran

The regulator won't change the function of your forge. The regular will just allow you to try something different, then go back to the general area where the forge works the best. When the interior of the forge gets hot, you can turn the gas down and maintain your heat (hopefully you are already doing this anyway).

Lipstick on a pig, doesn't matter what colour, it's still lipstick.:)

Neil

This is a new to me forge and as soon as I got it burning right I noticed a smell of propane. I tracked it down to a leak next to one of the screws on the old regulator that came with it when i bought it. The guy that used to use it was a farrier and had the 0-20 regulator all the way up. I don't know why he had it all the way up and don't know enough about shoeing to know anything about why he might need it that high. There is a needle valve I will use to turn up and down the heat while working once I find an ideal psi range for what I do.

I'll just get in touch with NCTool since it's obvious everyone seems to think that's the way to do it. I just thought someone would have some experience with these that could tell me what they did. I'd hate to buy one regulator just to find it's too small or get one that I really can't afford and then never turn it up past what I could've bought for less money.

The cheapest is not always the least expensive. By the time you factor in a couple of learning curves and throw them away, the most expensive is the least expensive.

just sayin''''

Neil

​Just like Judge Marian Millian on People's Court says in Cuban. "The cheap comes out expensive." Never maxing something out is a good thing. When was the last time you floored your car for any length of time? More regulator than you need . . . now eh? It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it is an old philosophy of mine.

Frosty The Lucky.

I emailed NCTool today and my reply back was as simple as 'buy the one we sell, it'll work.' Well you look online and it says nothing about it and it costs $34 + S&H. I guess I'll call them when I get off work and see if someone will tell me what psi it is. I don't see the point orderin one from the and payin shippin and sittin on my hands till it gets here when I can make a trip to town and pick one up and be up and runnin a few hours later.

I just looked at the replacement parts section of the NC forge page and that looks like your run of the mill Propane regulator. Last I looked the 0-30psi were about $35.00 and on the shelf at the local pro. Hardware store shipping included. I haven't looked at Suburban Propane's or Petrolane's show room so I don't know what they're charging.

Frosty The Lucky.